Friday, October 10, 2008

A few days away & all heck breaks loose!

I'll start with the good stuff.
My last swap (Minus those charms that are in the mail as we speak) has arrived safe & sound & was well received - whew! My partner likes primitive & I have never worked in that style before...
You can see it on her blog here: Doll Quilt.
Here is another photo:
Doll Quilt It is a Civil War Charm quilt, which in a nut shell means that none of those 100 squares is used twice. I achieved the checkerboard effect by using my shirting collection. (The back is a shirting print as well.) I hand quilted it using perle cotton - hoping to give the quilt a primitive look. The scary part - I gave a ton of CW fabrics & scraps away & I still had enough to do this... Looking at this I keep saying, where is the cheddar - ACK! (OH & I get a tiny twinge of guilt over my CW UFO's.)
& Here it is on the Another Little Quilt Swap Blog. Which BTW is a good blog to subscribe to if you like to see quilt photos...

No other quilting from me to report... (Well, I did repin the yellow quilt as my husband ironed his pants...)

Chance to win a Denyse Schmidt original quilt

Wanna a chance to win an original Densye Schmidt Quilt? Clicking on win, will take you to a flickr photo... The details on entering are part of the text - another link...

GOOD NEWS

We now have a baby boy & and a baby girl name picked out. :o)

My MIL threatened to come down for a visit on Sunday & Monday since we have Columbus Day off. I should be more broken up, but my own father is in town & coming over for dinner with his parents tonight. That is enough family for one weekend, thankyouverymuch. Then again, if my MIL did come down, I could have gotten her husband to hang the mirror in the baby's room & some curtain rods. :o) & I could have tried out another new recipe out on her. UPDATE: She might come down alone on the train... She is allergic to onions & I cook with onions a lot & they are like corn syrup - added to a lot of prepackaged stuff! I guess I should prepare that onion free dish anyway... Or maybe we can go to that place with a salad bar - she is a big salad eater... I wonder what else might come up before I publish this post.
My father & Grandparents are getting Greek Stuffed Tomatoes. (I got the recipe from Siobhan. & have made it several times, each time was a success!)

Greek Stuffed Tomatoes
15 medium tomatoes
1 to 2 Tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 pounds of ground beef
2 onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 to 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 to 2 Tablespoons dried mint
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup cooked rice

topping:
1 can tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper

Cut off tops of tomatoes and reserve tops. Scoop out pulp of tomatoes, chop and set aside. Place tomato shells in a baking dish. Sprinkle sugar lightly inside of tomato shells and set aside.

In a deep skillet, saute onions in olive oil. Add ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, allspice and mint to taste. Add the reserved chopped tomato. Cook until Tomato is soft. Add rice and combine.

Spoon meat mixture into the shells and cap with the tomato caps. If there is extra filling just pack it around the tomatoes. Combine tomato sauce with olive oil and pour over the tomatoes. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake and additional 30 minutes or until the shells are soft to a fork.


Get ready for the "Yeah, What else is new?" Comments...

Being away from your office for 2 days - does not stop two days worth of stuff from piling up! The mail box was full (Luckily a lot of it was junk.) Some of it I was able to pass off right away. Some I need to work on right away, but my supervisor is not in the office today, so breaking my neck would be "moot." A lot of "busy work" that is getting tracked by my supervisor's supervisor because he doesn't have anything better to do... To think , I had most of my stuff all caught up on Tuesday...

7 comments:

Kathie said...

Love this little doll quilt!
You did a great job and great job quilting it with pearl cotton, did you enjoy using it?
if you ever need some cw fabrics I can always send you some to make another doll quilt :)
Kathie

Quiltdivajulie said...

I so understand the busy work and the "being supervised" stuff... some things never change.

Take care and enjoy your day off!

Miri said...

Great quilt! I went to her blog too and love how it looks on her hall table. Beautiful.

Libby said...

Looks like you've made a doll quilt winner *s* Hope your weekend filled with family is a happy one (not too taxing on any level *s*)

cindyquiltsOR said...

The quilt is a winner!

I, on the other hand, look forward to shrinking the quantity and making the stuffed tomatoes.

My garden is still giving, Dad said much of his froze out last night. Kinda anti-climatic: his b'day.

Please pass the onions ...

Mary said...

I not only like it, I LOVE IT! I Have gotten sooo many compliments on it that I am going to keep it up well after Valentine's Day! I really am, I truly Love It! Later today I am going to upload pictures of Youngest Daughter going to Homecoming Dance and where do I position her, yes, in front of my Little Quilt. Becky, you truly out did yourself and I really do Love, Love Love Love IT! Can you be my next swap partner, PLEASE!! lol,

LOTS OF HUGS,

MARY
HAVE A GREAT WEEK AND DON'T LET WORK GET YOU DOWN!

Mary said...

aMY, JUST DOWNLOADED PICS OF DAUGHTER'S DANCE AND WHERE DO YOU THINK I POSITIONED HER...YEP YOU ARE RIGHT, IN FRONT OF THE LITTLE TABLE WITH YOU LQS ADORABLE QUILT ON THE TABLE FOR ALL TO SEE! DID I TELL YOU HOW MUCH I JUST LOVE IT!...CHECK IT OUT http://mary-myneedlethread.blogspot.com

Hugs, Mary