Monday, October 20, 2008

Another soup-er easy soup recipe

Jessica at Turkey Cookies is having another call for soups. (Post the recipe on your blog & them do the Mr. Linky on hers.)

It is officially soup & crock pot season. While I made a Diet Coke chicken (recipe at the end) last night, here is a soup-er simple crock post chicken soup recipe.


HOMEMADE CROCK POT CHICKEN SOUP

1 pkg. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lg. can chicken broth - I prefer to use homemade (see my recipe below) to control the sodium. This usually has enough flavor because I use chicken wings - the bones hold the flavor, but I have added powdered chicken soup mix & sometimes I add the mix just because I have it on hand... (The soup mix has plenty sodium!)
2 c. each carrots & celery
1 c. slivered onions
Seasonings according to taste (parsley flakes, garlic, salt, pepper, etc.) For me this a random mix... Sometimes I grab Herbs de-Provence & figure that has several things in it, so it is enough... Same thing with italian seasoning...

Night before: Cut carrots, celery and onion. Take chicken out of freezer. Set out seasonings. Have crock pot accessible. In a.m. literally throw above ingredients in crock pot and add water to cover the ingredients. Put on lid, turn on low, approximately 8 hours. Remove chicken breasts from crock pot with tongs. Cut meat on plate and return meat to soup mixture.

I make matzoh balls, rice, or noodles to add to the soup. (I actually pour the soup over the noodle, rice or matzoh balls so that they do not break down so much in the soup.) While I can make matzoh balls from scratch, 90% of the time, I use a box mix. (If I get the mix with soup - that is the powder that I add to the soup when it is cooking - no sense in wasting it.)

Chicken Broth
5 pounds chicken wings
2 medium onions, quartered
2 small carrots, halved
2 celery stalks, halved
4 rinsed and dried fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
2 rinsed and dried fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Rinse the chicken wings. Put them in a stockpot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring the mixture just to a boil over high heat, skimming and discarding the surface skim with a slotted spoon. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, skimming frequently, for 20 minutes. Add the onions, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns; simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Strain the stock and skim off all the fat that rises to the surface. (Alternately, cool the stock and refrigerate it overnight. The fat will harden on top of the stock and is much easier to remove.) Return the stock to the pot and simmer until reduced by one third, about 30 minutes. Divide the stock among several resealable plastic bags and freeze it.

Diet coke chicken

6-8 pieces of chicken (There is a package of cut up chicken that has 8 pieces - list night I used a package of bone in thighs & boneless skinnless breasts.)
20 oz. diet coke
1 cup ketchup

Put it all in the crock pot I cook on low for 6-8 hours.
That is it...

I served it with steamed snow peas & rice.

5 comments:

melissa s. said...

i'm ALL about the crock pot these days, so will definitely try this. and i remember you from the booty quilt swap! glad to see you and the baby are doing well!

Morah said...

Did you ever find those crock pot liners? I could not live without them!

Jessica said...

I love the crock pot when I am at work at and school...I even whipped it out to make applesauce this past weekend! I need to try this one out very soon! Thanks for joining in!

dee said...

I priced crock pots yesterday and I wish I knew which one is good. Which one do you use? Love Matzo ball soup. We have a Kosher restaurant in the next town and they make fabulous big bowls of heaven. Roger goes for the chopped liver.

Mary said...

I made soup tonight! Keith loves matzoh ball soup...one day I'll have to learn to make it for him.