Monday, September 15, 2008

An update on 3 things...

Thanks for all the Ike related well wishes. My father fared rather well. He was in an area that was told not to evacuate, so they moved his 92 year old mother in law in with them until normalcy resumes. (one less senior for the home to deal with.) Over all they fared well, getting to the potty in the pitch dark was the hardest part from what I hear.

No news on how the dogs took too it, but with enough "chicky" I am sure they were fine.

The only damage that my father saw was to some trees & the fence. A few neighbors had some roof damage. They have gas & water - which is good. I know when we lost our electricity, I was happy to have a gas stove. No electricity - they are expecting to be out for up to 2 weeks... Now that is a long time - even without Nintendo addicted kids. (The Nintendo reference probably dates me, not that we had one... We did not even have cable & when the TV broke, we survived without that for a while too.)

CSA - peaches, apples, pears, acorn squash, tomatoes (off the top of my head...) I did not take any of the parsnips (I only use those in soup & we are not having soup weather!) or bell peppers.

Baby - don't forget there is a ticker at the bottom of my page... But on Friday I get to have the 3 hour glucose tolerance test - my sugar was high on the initial screening. So I may have gestational diabetes - which could take my birth plan & throw it out the window... Ah well, healthy baby is what I have to keep thinking about...

I'll post my weekend sewing in a few. Now I need to read what you all have been up to!

7 comments:

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Thanks for the update on 3 things. Always like the be brought up to speed...that way I'm not left behind the 8 ball.

Numerical Love, *karendianne./ Living Life at LeeHaven

Not Lucy said...

My best advice for new moms is: Your birth plan is the ideal but HOW the baby is born is not what you should dwell on, it is the BABY itself that is important. This is one time that the destination is more important than the journey!

I had three kids, all with no drugs but all in a regular delivery room. Didn't matter to me - I got three beautiful, healthy babies! My daughter has had to have two C-sections, though she really wanted to go natural, but again, she has two beautiful, healthy babies to cuddle. The birth experience is forgotten.

Katie said...

Karen said it all so well. Just do what you have to do. From your quilting you know plans are made to be broken. And some great adventures happen when plans change. Enjoy whatever adventure comes your way.

Katie said...

whoops it was "not lucy" and not Karen. Sorry

Betty J in OKC said...

My prayers are for you to have a safe and easy delivery.

My DB in StL said that Ike's winds blew down a heavy branch that broke out the back window, dented the hood and trunk and passanger side of his "spare" car that's being sold to his roomie. He told her that now she'll get a newer car out of God's intervention. He's counting it as a blessing~LOL!

Morah said...

Forgot that your dad was in Houston. I have not been reading for a few days....shopping, boarding up, unboarding....Glad to hear he is ok.

Susan said...

I had to do the stupid 3-hour test also. It totally sucked, but in the end the test came out negative. Hoping the best for you.