Wednesday, September 03, 2008

September is Quilt Month

Did you know that September is Quilt Month over at Mr. Monkeysuit? (As usual, I am a day late, dollar short - but there is no time like the present.)

I think that this is the first quilt that I finished that I have...
blue & yellow stars

The actual quilt is a lot bigger than this bit (this might be 1/4) & some of the piecing is far from perfect.
I traded for the blue scraps. Instead of keeping the blues dark - as the pattern suggests, I kept them blue & used every blue that I could get my hands on! I had no idea about bias - otherwise I might never have tried this pattern... The yellows range from orange to lime green - yellows were not avialable for purchase that year & I did not have a stash. (I now have a lot of yellow in my stash.)

I had tried to piece & quilt before this, but those examples are so far gone that they should not even be mentioned. I ruined a not so great top by trying to quilt it myself on my sewing machine. Then I found out about long arm quilters. The blue & yellow stars was quilted by a long armer.
The binding - is the wrap the back around to the front type of binding - not the best, but this quilt is not "used" so that method has served this quilt well so far.

I have no idea how all of that underlining happened...




9 comments:

Libby said...

Ahhh - a girl after my own heart. The first class I signed up for was a curved piece (tree skirt) The teacher tried in vain to talk me out of it. It didn't look that hard and I wanted (needed) that skirt. If no one tells you it's hard . . . you can't worry over it!

dot said...

A nice quilt. All our quilts are learning experiences and that includes our fist one. Enjoy the quilt and use it.

Not Lucy said...

Love that pattern! It looks great from here!

The secret is - almost any quilt looks great from a distance - you just sometimes have to step back farther and farther and farther... I have some you need to be miles away from for it to look good!

Seriously though, sometimes the distance is time. So you can grow to love it!

martha said...

I think the light and dark blues actually look good. Gives it some movement and sparkle. A stash with lots o yellows is a good stash:)

martha said...

ha! some rules were meant to be broken!

Marlene said...

From where I'm sitting, that quilt looks pretty darn nice. I can't see any underlines, or any bias problems. I must be sitting at the right distance away.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I'd be embarrassed to show my first quilt. The fabric and colors were horrible!

miniaturequilter said...

I think it is a very pretty quilt, impressive for a first quilt! Mine was a log cabin.

dee said...

Your quilt is beautiful and that's a favorite color combination of mine. My first quilt was a mini from Miniature Quilter Magazine(gone but not forgotten)
My first larger one was a log cabin.