Friday, September 26, 2008

Quilting is Therapy

So I had been feeling blue. (Thanks for all of the well wishes.)

I also for the past several days have not even thought about quilting...

So I packed my doll quilt obligations into my bag - just in case I wanted to work on them at work - during lunch. (It has happened before, it could happen again.)

That is just what I did! By the time I got my first row of stitches done, I immediately felt better.

Now I am not 100% & I have not looked out the gloomy windows in a while, but...

Oh & the cottage cheese mixed with apple sauces isn't tooooooo bad as far as my new diet goes.

So if you have a small portable project & a job with a lunch hour - give it a try. Quilting really is therapy.

Wonder if I can parlay my new found enthusiasm into a fabric shopping trip? (Too bad there isn't really anything that I "need." & I am not really in the mood to shop... BUT I do have a catlog with a few things circled...)

10 comments:

Suzan said...

I think one of the reasons I have been so tense lately is because I have not had the opportunity or time to sew. Quilting...cheaper than a therapist!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I take a handwork project with me every day to work ~ lunch time therapy (works wonders!)

Quiltivate said...

According to this study just out from Home Sewing Association, sewing does have a physically-significant calming effect. I say we seize this news and sew all we can! :o)

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Catalog shopping is really a good thing to do. I do it when I'm being "visited" by those dern squirrels and it works!~

Libby said...

I love those little projects you can just pop into your bag. Even when you're not sure you'll have a free moment or be in the mood . . . there it is!
I'm pretty sure that Martha Stewart would say, 'Retail therapy is a good thing.' *s*

Bonnie said...

Part of your blue mood my also come from your change in diet. Withdrawal from some things you have had to cut out or way down. It will do it to me.

Bizarre Quilter said...

A doll quilt sounds perfect. Before long you will feel like you have achieved big time.

Damn hormone rides! and I've never experienced it! *hugs* from Oz (but no Violet Crumbles).

Loz in Oz

Katie said...

I have read that doing something with your hands, like stitching or knitting,that you can do while still talking to someone or listening to TV lessens stress. It takes just enough of your brain action so your brain isn't able to dwell on problems or negative thoughts. Another activity recommended was whittling so if you know anyone who prefers that activity, recommend it. Anyway, needle work actually is verified theapy.

Ruth's Place said...

I get antsy when I can't sew, quilt or knit on a regular basis. It is much cheaper than therapy...

Catching up: Love the purple quilt.

Be prepared for all eventualities, my birth experience turned out completely different from what we had planned, but I had done reading and attended classes just in case. In the end it doesn't matter how your little one gets here as long as it gets here safely.

As for gender, we weren't told either and unless your kid is in a super cooperative position it's hard for the uneducated eye to tell. My SIL saw both videos of the scans (13 weeks and 22 weeks) that they do for diagnositc purposes here and she was convinced we were having a boy. She's a midwife...we have a girl lol

Mary said...

It's definitely therapy for me too. I finished the quilting on my Wonky Trees and truly it's basic and simple and probably overdone but I loved making every single stitch.