Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Maverick/frugal/use what you have

Have you heard about the book on making quilts with selvages as the emphasis? Karen Griska is the Author & she has a blog. I was blog hopping - clicking on hyperlinks, etc. & I found her blog yesterday. I left a comment - she was looking for a translation on a Japanese selvage. I mentioned that I have some Japanese fabric where those color dots are not dots... She wanted to see what I was talking about, this is what I sent her:
DSC05549.JPG
&
DSC05550.JPG

If I had more that 3, I would seriously think about making a small quilt with selvages. Also on regular cottons, the selvages are getting to be prettier & prettier. I noticed that while cutting setting triangles for my dad's quilt last weekend - lets just say that at least one of those lights was rather old...

As it is, I was inspired by a doll quilt on flickr & started to save nice selvages - but when I downsized to make room for the baby, those were tossed early...

3 comments:

mamaspark said...

Those selvages are pretty cool. I have never seen them done as birds! Now if they would make cat ones... = )

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

I have three bags full of selvages. I predict one of the next things in fabric design will be intentionally designed selvages for quilters to use.

Bizarre Quilter said...

Ohhhh how cute are they? you must use them as trim on baby bag or something... :)