Tuesday, September 23, 2008

67% really

On the Mom blog, Katie Couric posts... Interview. One of the statements in the blog is:

While 67% of women agree with her that creationism should be taught alongside
evolution in schools


Is that true?

Especially when the US is ranted 29th in the world in Science? Especially when we need a good science base to be able to learn new ways to use renewable energy sources? To find cures for Alzheimers, Multiple Sclerosis, Leukemia, etc. To be able to handle our trash/recycling better?ETC.!

I know that there are a lot of Jews who believe/live/teach that what is said in the Torah is "it." Not open for discussion, but they are teaching their kids in religious schools, where they can control the education. They are not advocating (that I know about) that this is taught in public schools.

Isn't creationism a religious belief? Don't we have the protection of "Separation of Church & State?"

I know that what my Catholic friends believe is different that what my 7th Day Adventist, Quaker, Methodist friends believe... When we start allowing creationism to be taught in public schools, whose version are we going to use? (Caveat, what my friends believe may not be representational of their religions tennents.)

Isn't this why churches have schools? That is at least part of the reason why Synogogues have schools (they also want Kosher meals/snacks, etc.).

7 comments:

dee said...

Wow...Church & State-there's a dinosaur that died during the Reagan administration. I could never vote for someone who is an advocate for creationism. We have here the further dumbing down of our nations youth. No wonder we can't turn out engineers and scientists anymore. Sad. Where did those statistics come from- Kansas, where they teach creationism?

Frogdancer said...

This creationism thing is such an American thing. (I'm from Australia). You probably don't want to hear this, but that bible-belt stuff is viewed with a lot of bemusement by the rest of us.
I'd be voting that 67% of women is a gross skewing of the actual figures by some interest group or other.

Suzan said...

The creation story in the Bible is the same creation myth told in all cultures to explain the unexplainable. How anyone believes it to be the literal truth is totally beyond me. (Where did Cain and Abel's wives come from? Which, by the way, opens up the whole subject of incest if the boys married their sisters.) If she wants "Creationism" taught in the schools, then they have to teach the Babylonian creation story, Native American creation story, etc. They are stories - not science.
67% of American women believe the creation story and think it should be taught along side of evolution? I guess I only know the other 33%.

Shasta said...

Those numbers seem skewed to me as well - unless people were saying, "fine, teach it along with the real science stuff, just to let students know there is another viewpoint." I think Bush has given a lot of power to the creationalists.

Kay said...

That high number represents a lot of ignorance about how science works-- the thinking is that after all, if evolution is "only a theory", then it's maybe not true. You don't want to hear me on this, believe me!

Bizarre Quilter said...

I am a Science and Biology teacher.

I use phrases like "Scientists believe..... due to this kind of evidence and this kind of evidence". and when I taught in a Catholic school I would say "While the Church teaches this..." etc.

I have always been ready for the fundamentalist parents and students challenging me when I am teaching the course outlined by the government: "God could have created the world with the fossil record in place".

Besides, I studied to teach Religion in Catholic Schools. The modern view is that it is the meaning behind the story that is important, not that the words in the story themselves are true.

Mary said...

Creationism was big in GA when we were living near Atlanta - I don't have a problem with people's beliefs but their teaching should be reserved for places other than the public school system.