Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why you do what you do?

1. Why do you quilt? I quilt because I am. (I like to play with color & texture, & design.)
2. How long have you been quilting? Since about 2000. I think that I started right after the Y2K charm phase. I had to purchase a set of charms - big mistake - I could make 2000 charms out of my stash instead. BUT I love some of those funky prints that I got.
3. What made you start quilting? I just decided that I wanted to do something "else." I had been a cross- stitcher.
4. What sewing machine do you use mostly for piecing? A Pfaff (mid-level - quilters edition.)
5. What machine do you use mostly for quilting? I hire a long armer...
6. If you could have any sewing machine you want — money isn’t an issue — just get anything you want . . what would you get? A long arm - probably the Gamill with the Statler Stitcher.
7. When you buy a sewing machine, how long do you expect you’ll keep it? For ever
8. On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you love your stash? Part of is are a definate 11! Other parts, not so much, but I have culled some & plan to cull some more - after I do my red log cabin for example...
9. Why do you have the stash? I have a stash because when I started, I wanted to make a scrappy blue & yellow quilt. Yellows were few & far between to find in the stores. But the gals in my guild had yellows... Click, I need to save yellows, so that I can make another blue & yellow quilt... & Then I wanted to make a cat charm quilt - You have to buy a pretty big piece of fabric - even if they are all fat quarters - for a charm... Then I wanted to play with Japanese taupes - by now I learned the value of value so one year I concentrated on getting lights, the next year - dark darks... (Now I may be ready to owrk on my double X quilt...) I think that my stash is medium, but used - I have seen quite a few stashes that are huge in comparison to mine & rather unused...
10. When we talk about “stashbusting”, what are your thoughts? In the begining I was all on board the "use it up." bandwagon, but now I am just interested in buying less (Not to be confused with not buying at all) & using more. (Although I am not about to actually verify that concept that tracking the in and outs of it all.)

No comments: