Friday, August 15, 2008

this & that - even some quilting at the end

Welcome to my world (from a mom blog - you've been warned.) child care. (I am one of the ones that she is talking about... You probably guessed that though, huh?) Since I admitted to some of my granola tendencies earlier (Cloth diapers...) I might as well admit that we have bi-lingual plans in the works - husband is fluent in 2 languages, so he has been tasked to talk to the baby in the non-dominant language, he has even started practicing on the cats... (I talk baby talk too them too - praising them for eating their cat food, etc.)

Oh & Since I work in a science based area (Not me personally, but I am surrounded by science folk), I talked with a guy who used to do ASL interpretation. He knows a lot about language development. He said that when the baby/toddler

(Not sure when the idiot box will be introduced... I have feelings both ways... We watch it, the child will know this, so how can we not allow it... I don't like what Kiddy TV has become - do you think I can get some circa 1970's Sesame Street? I can go on...)

is exposed to the telly, to have the closed captions on - studies have shown that it helps with language & reading. (The same theory behind "Leap frog." Without spending oodles on talking books... I think that reading time should be quiet time, showing pictures asking about the pictures, etc.)

Quilting this & that -

There is an interesting question being posed by The Calico Quilter - do go take a look & share your response - one way or the other. My very long & rambling answer is in the comments...

It's fun to see the "fungly" quilts, but it is funner to realize that that is not for me & that I can/should/am using my sewing time on stuff better suited to me, rather than joining in for the sake of joining in... Ditto the quilt-alongs & mystery quilts that many generous bloggers are sharing out there! Heck, I don't even have/use the time to do the stuff that I want to do! If I shared my "want to do" list, my "I have a bundle of fabric for this quilt" list, my "UFO" list, my "WIP" list, you'd have to agree with me...

Speaking of those lists as I clean out the stewdio 1/3 of the baby/stewdio room (O.K. all of you who fell on the floor from the laughter, can rejoin the thoughts here...) I should reevaluate those lists - start new ones - think about why I stalled - or never got past bundling pretty fabrics together...

One quilt that had been on my "I have a bundle of fabric for this quilt" list is the RR X-ing quilt - I have sewed up to the point where I need to press them - just in time for my mini-group meeting on Sunday. (I do not plan on taking my sewing machine, so I have things to press, to cut & to do hand work on instead.)

I hope that you all have a lovely weekend... (Is it quitting time yet? All this thinking about quilting has me "itchin to stitch!")

7 comments:

dee said...

It's fun reading your thoughts about child rearing. Makes me think of all the things we had planned Most worked out well-especially Sesame Street. Plus it gave me chance to laugh as well. The baby furniture is beautiful Amy.

Ruth's Place said...

We are a no-TV for the child family. We watch most of our stuff on DVD through the computer and she basically ignores that because it's quiet, and up higher than the TV.

Recently we've had the actual TV on for the Olympics and it's actually scary how fascinated she is with it at only 10 months. She will just sit and stare and not play until I feel guilty and turn the tv off. There are some studies around that TV under three can limit language development, but if you are doing the bilingual thing (which is fabulous and what you are planning works so well) then that shouldn't be an issue.

Shasta said...

I agree with you Amy. with so many opportunities to join blocks of the month, mystery quilts, challenges, swaps, etc., that we wind up being torn in many different directions. It is best to realize who we are and make our own goals.

Jules said...

We did sign language with our kids. Amy was very annoyed at people who did not know sign language, like the hibachi guy at the Japanese steak house. She was signing to him that she wanted some rice, and he just did not get it. It was very funny.

If you ask, I'll tell you my TV philosophy.

Bizarre Quilter said...

The original episodes of Sesame Street are being released in Australia - the come with a warning. They are not as PC as episodes are now. At least you will know all the songs! So will I!

Exuberant Color said...

I agree that we need to stay true to ourselves and I want to use the fabric I love and I weed out the fabric I don't love anymore and sell it or donate it.

Good luck in finding good TV for the kitten. I hope they will stop putting adult humor in kid's shows.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for the link to the stash v. purchase post - interesting stuff! I have a decent stash and enjoy using it... I rarely buy anything matchy-matchy anymore ~ if I need yardage to go with what I already have, I get it as budgets permit. And I have gotten to where I rarely follow a pattern start to finish ~ somehow I always wander off in my own direction and am much happier doing so. Took me a while, and I am still tempted by some of the mystery quilts and challenges ~ but I'm doing better at being true to myself in the process.

Take care ~ sorry for not commenting more often!!