Saturday, August 23, 2008

The rest of the story (I promise that this is the last that you will hear about this.)

Sorry Paul Harvey... (I really enjoyed your radio show when I was lucky enough to catch it.)

Izzy left a comment - she also sent me the same message in another e-mail.

To begin, I have to disagree about her statement not being anti-semitic. Any excuses/rationales will not change that. Seriously are there any "typical complainers?" I live in the real world where people protest about all kinds of things - war, the environment, politics, eating meat, gay marriage, door to door seller or proselytizers,  etc. I don't complain about many things - as a matter of fact, my stance on many things is that if it is not illegal & you are not hurting anyone else - who am I to say anything about it? 

More to the point, I put the statement in full text on my blog & no one disagreed with me. 

My abbreviated response - for the full story:

Were you expecting bloggers/quilters/jews/people to be like stepford wives, happy all the time? Sorry I live in the real world where "people" of all stripes "protest" everything. Protest being a form of complaining. I went on to talk about my lack of complaining while dealing with infertility in general. & stated again that I am disappointed that all of the extra effort that  we had to go through to have a baby that I will only have a small amount of time with that baby.

I also stated that I don't complain daily about everything... 

Would a "typical complainer" complain non-stop? Maybe, I know some people who are fairly gloomy on a regular basis. 

Sorry, I have not figured out how to cut & paste into blogger on my MAC.

I promise that this is the end of this subject. This is a quilt blog. Just happens that this quilter is pregnant & lives with 2 cats... So that means that I will talk about, praise, & complain about that stuff. 

To make this quilty - If I were more of a perfectionist quilter who liked "hard" patterns, I would be continually negative about my horrible seams & even more so about my "pressing." I have "ruined" more that my fair share of block units through poor pressing. So much so, I cut large & trim down afterwards.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow. Either way, I found that scary. I wish when people don't really agree with what we say or think that they'd just pass on by rather than feel they have to be negative...

Katie said...

I see the phrase "people like that" as offensive and can't think of a situation where it isn't. I believe in the light of day and while I'm sorry for the pain it must have brought you, I appreciate you sharing this with us.

"Izzy" imrenbjor said...

you say you cant post my letter, well let me help you so that it is also public record as you are the one who chose to make this public in the first place, I mailed you privately....
Blogger "Izzy" imrenbjor said...

I happen by your blog probably for the last time and saw that not only you missunderstood what I said, but you tried to publically humiliate me and mock my yall in public ....
Well please let me set the record staright on a few things .

Firstly when I said "your kind" I did not mean a "Jew" , it was not anti simetic as you so judge me and fault me of saying. When I said "your kind" I meant a "typical complainer" , a" person" that complains about everything .. NOT a Jew, because I am also a Jew.........
My grandfather was jewish and I too, am not 100% but I am one as well, so I dont think that remark can be aniti Jewish as you judge me because I also am a Jew .

God's people did in fact complain in the desert , that was a true statement ,even God said so, they always said to Moses why did you bring us here to the desert , to die ??? We have no food, no water etc. Every time God provided them, or US if you will, with something good they complained and grumbled , this is true, and I merely compared you to a complainer nothing more , it was you who judged yourself and me, by your own words...Please feel free to publish this email as well , but this time humiliate me like a Jew , and brand me with a yellow star on this email when you try to shame me again ...Perhaps this email wont make it to the public view , only the email that makes you look like a victim and me like a bad person ....I emailed you because I dont have a blog nor a google acct by the way , so I could not post my comment..Imrenbjor

Emily said...

Calico, as my BBF (best blogger friend) says, "My Blog, My Rules". If you want to "flame" someone, feel free to do so. If you want to "misinterpret", that's your perogative. If people don't want to be "misunderstood", well, that's a risk they take by commenting on someone else's blog.

Have your say, this is YOUR forum and we are merely uninvited guests.

sophie said...

I have been dealing with my own life challenges and have fallen woefully behind on blogging and reading some of my favorite bloggers, including you. I'm sorry to read that you've been the object of some stranger's negativity. I know it happens. I think we always will wonder why someone feels the need to reach out and share their unsolicited judgment of us with us when they really don't--in most instances can't possibly--know us well enough to know what they're talking about in any real way.

Sure, I started reading your blog because you blog about QUILTING, but I doubt I would have kept reading if quilting is all you ever cared to post about. Sharing small pieces of ourselves through blogs, email and, perhaps occasionally, alive and in person . . . isn't that how community is built?

Of course, unfortunately, not everyone who participates in blogland is about making connections and building community, but I think everyone else very much appreciates what you have to say and how you say it ;-)

Ruth's Place said...

Good grief! I miss a few days blog reading and this falls down around you. You poor thing! As for Izzy, I think that when you make broad generalisations about anyone, be it a group of quilters or a race of people, you are doing them a disservice and are likely to offend.