Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Prize winning quilt (P.S. added)


Prize winning quilt
Originally uploaded by Virtual Farm Boy

I just saw this on flickr & I haven't had a photo of a quilt up in a while. I always like bargello quilts - I tried to make one - not for me... I really like the appliqued border on this one...

But the bargello that I remember most, I saw at the quilt museum in Bird in hand Pennsylvania. The top 1/3 and the bottom 1/3 were all white - so the bargello was only in the middle - it was so striking!

A friend of mine has made quite a few of these, but she picks out bits & replaces them with other fabrics - I'll have to get a picture of one - it is hard to describe in words.

Any of you bloggers made a bargello? Post it & tell me to come look at it! Anyone else like me & just like to look at them?

P.S. FYI here is a different shot at "All People Quilt.com" of the same quilt with credit given to the quilter.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love bargello quilts and this one is one of the coolest. I've never made on myself - it's on my "someday" list.

Kathie said...

someday I just may make a bargello quilt
I love the way they look and this one is incredible!

Exuberant Color said...

I made a lot of bargello wallhangings, vests, and the collars we wore over sweatshirts in the early 1990's. I had seen Alison Goss's bargello at Houston (in 1987 I think) and came home and figured out how to do it. Unfortunately that was before digital cameras.....

Rian said...

I don't much care for bargello quilts. I liked them when I first saw them, but now I don't. Many of them are too simple, I think they need to be complex (like the one in your blog post) to be successful.

Tanya said...

That Bargello is beautiful. Yes, I have made two bargellos (and I'm pretty sure I posted them long time ago, I'll go back and check). They were great fun to make but took a lot of organization. A friend and I worked on ours together and it made the process very enjoyable.