Monday, August 25, 2008

postage stamp quilts

This morning I boldly stated that I would google on this subject for ideas.
Since I found this "tutorial" on the subject, I decided to share.
So that you too can make a postage stamp quilt. FYI this is my very long term project. But I think that mine will alternate color with Kona Snow. Or Joann's cheap muslin - just not WOW or trying to do light & not-light. I'd rather just not use lights that to deal with that hassel. Oh & I think that It will grow by 16 patch until it gets to be "big enough." I am relishing the idea of mixing oldies, uglies, & newbies in with fussy cuts, bias cuts, & why did I make that cuts. My squares will be cut at 1.5 inches square.

FYI, Yes, I know that Gypsy Quilter just made one of these using hand dyeds (mine will include hand dyed scraps too.) & I also know that Jeanne is also revisiting this subject. All I can say is, "Great Minds Think Alike."

Funny thing that you can only learn through googling & actually looking at the different pages. The definition of a quilt pattern is fairly diverse. I have seen Trip Around the World called Postage Stamp Quilt as well as others that do not fit with "my" definition (like a 9-patch quilt). But it has been that way since the begining of quilt making. Case in point, in the 1930's my great grandmother made a Drunkards Path quilt. The tee-totalers (anti-drinking people) called the same pattern Patience Knot - I think.

This is my aim - although maybe not on-point. Funny this one is also called checkerboard. It is part of the DAR collection - wonder if I could make plans to see it in person... (One of those plans that I would make if I were to take a vacation to Washington DC, but as a "resident" probably not...)

Not quite sure how my googling got me here. When I was "into" that type of quilt, I toured this site regularly. My own feeble attempt is 1 block shy of being "done" (with the blocks). I still have books & grandiose plans to do one or two more - now that is funny considering that my first one is languishing.

A very simple version can be seen here - but the scalloped border is so sweet.

All of that & I have no definitive answer to me border question... Oh well, it was fun to look.

9 comments:

Not Lucy said...

I just recently finished a 'postage stamp' quilt. Mine was all sewn by hand will someday be hand quilted - when I have the time!

My understanding of a postage stamp quilt is that the pieces were cut 1.5" X 1.75" - more the shape of a stamp. Most of the pieces for mine were originally cut that size but since they weren't accurate (cut using a cardboard template many years ago) I trimmed them all down to 1.5" square.

Anyway, here is a link to a post about the finished top: http://lucysquilts.blogspot.com/2008/08/top-is-done.html

Mama Koch said...

"My squares will be cut at 1.5 inches square".

are you nuts? on purpose?

Libby said...

Love them all . . . now I wanna do one too *s*

Kim said...

Thanks for the Postage Stamp tour. I've been pondering what to do with scraps. Love the Checkerboard DAR piece.

Jeanne said...

Eeeek -- my project won't even begin to approach those! and my squares are 2" ...

Morah said...

I too have wanted to do a postage stamp for a long time.....maybe, just maybe youo've inspired me to get out of thinking mode....

Sweet P said...

I admit I'm a lurker on your blog. I've been your pregnancy with great anticipation.

I'm hand piecing a postage stamp quilt right now. I also moderate a Postage Stamp Quilt group on Yahoo Groups. We are swapping charms every three months.

You're welcome to join us if you'd like.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postagestampquilts/

YankeeQuilter said...

When I look at these quilts I always feel like there is a photo or a letter hidden in the design...wierd aye?! I have a bag of 1-1/2 inch pieces that I always think I may try to put together some day.

good luck.

Lynn S. said...

I'm swapping a bag of scraps for someone's postage stamp quilt. I'm thinking maybe a wall hanger for me? I enjoyed reading your blog.