Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Oh Mr. Internet

Why do you vex me so?

My only advice to you is if you see something on the internet (free quilt pattern, recipe, etc.) either dowload it or print it off, because Mr. Internet is cleaning up. (Didn't I just tell you that cleaning is overrated - don't do it.)

Case in point. Forever & a day on a quilt magazine website that shall remain nameless had a "free" downloadable pattern called "Stairway to Cat Heaven." it is no longer available for free on the internet - but you can buy it & they provide easy access to that retailer...

I have found other similar cases... So if you see it & you like it, it is not good enough to save the link. As I have just learned from experience.

Now I really need to go through those important papers. Husband recently cleaned out the filing cabinet - it was full of junk. & I recently purchased file folders. So now in addition to tax stuff, warranty stuff & other "keep this paperwork" stuff, I will be going through my printed recipes & printed quilt patterns/pulled out of magazines patterns.

I guess I should go through my e-mail folders and check some of those linky dinks too.

FYI I found out about the "Stairway to Cat Heaven" change while googling Chinese Coins. (There are several blocks in addition to the pattern that I want to use - one of which is on that quilt magazine website. It looks like the Milky Way block to me. Jinny Beyer & Quilter's Cache both have Chinese Coins that are not what I was expecting.)

6 comments:

Kay said...

I agree that it's totally frustrating when a bookmarked site disappears. I was frustrated by the disappearance of the "how to make a glue applicator for and Elmer's bottle" video recently. All I could find was a not very clear verbal explanation. But I guess it's unreasonable to expect anything else really. Nothing lasts forever (not even pregnancy, although I bet you feel that it does).

YankeeQuilter said...

I think I still have the magazine article that the Stairway was in if you want it. That has made the reorganize "cut" through at least 3 moves!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I tear out or print out the quilt patterns I think I want (haphazardly, for sure) and put them into plastic page protectors - storing these in 3 ring binders labeled (ironically) Gestation I, II, III (etc.). Still have to search through the notebooks (and the stack waiting to go into the notebook) but at least I have a fighting offline chance.

paula, the quilter said...

I *think* I printed that one out. Black and blue quilt? With cats using 9-patches as stairs?

Kim West said...

I hate that too when patterns that have been free for a long time decide to be sold just because they are popular. Well, coming from experience, they are that popular because they are free. I use Microsoft One Note (available in the Office suite or stand alone) to save all my patterns. It is basically a virtual notebook. It has a print function that takes any page and "prints" it to the program, saving it on your computer vs. having to actually print it out. I love it and have used it for a while now!

Kim West said...

PS. You can download a 60 day trial of it here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

I am not affiliated with Microsoft, just love this program!