Thursday, August 07, 2008

hand work/ TV work - & what I have actually been working on

O.K. between Mary & Nancy (so far) I am now feeling motivated to do hand work while watching the Olympics!

If I admit how many quilts with attached binding that "JUST" need the hand finishing - I just might have to crawl under a rock in embarrassment...

5 off the top of my head & they are mostly BIG - as in one of them is easily KING size with an overhang (Jacob's Ladder), Cat charm, Wedding signatures, Kaffe Look Alike, & Holly's cat quilt are the others. (I could linke to them, but I am saving the linky love for later in this post.)

Inspiration from a New to Me blog. I just came across this blog (I saw their book on flickr - the subtitle intrigued me, so I googled it & found the blog.) & I LOVE what they are doing with hexagons. Do take a look at Material Obsessions. Do you see how they have been fussy cutting them? TOO COOL! (Now that is a doable project for my next life time.)

What I have & have not been working on:
I have been working on the RR X-ing quilt as a leader ender project.
I have not been working on the back for the batik bricks quilt.
I have been working one my applique quilt.
I have not made my blueberry buckle - yet. (I want to eat it with a scoop of ice cream, but I keep missing the intermediate step...)

Here are some photos of the applique quilt:
DSC05457.JPG I got them all laid out & my big helper decided that he had a better arrangement.
DSC05458.JPG So I laid them out again - & shooed him away long enough for me to get a photo & barely long enough to get them sewn in the correct order. Since there are 7 blocks in a row, I was able to do some leader endering on this one... I wanted to get a whole row sewn before moving on to the next row.
DSC05459.JPG The star fabrics I got from Quilt Otaku. I also used them in this quilt. I started the applique quilt while working on this gift quilt. (Yes, that gift quilt was delivered in DECEMBER - but I machine button holed those letters, these I did by hand. Yes, If I did just one block a day, I could have been finished - a long time ago... Thanks for reminding me.) You see I had the taupe fabrics out & I was cutting the letters - so I cut Taupe letters...
Here is the top:
DSC05460.JPG With the helper cat...
DSC05461.JPG & without. I am happy with 99% of my fabric choices. The lights are all "spot on!" once or two of those letters are a bit light...
I also pieced the back & binding last night, they will both be the same fabric as that of the narrow inner border.

So while I did not piece the back for the batik bricks quilt, I am happy with what I did accomplish.

Goals for tonight:
1. Make blueberry buckle & eat some piping hot with vanilla ice cream!
2. Work in the back for the batik bricks quilt
3. Work on the RR X-ing quilt.

Oh & I have to report that I am quite giddy that while I have all of my fabrics picked out & the pattern found for my Bento Box quilt - I have not started on it! (& the cutting table is clear!) Insead I have been working on stuff that I had already started! YAY, she may have turned a corner... Oh & I got the Hancock's of Paducah catalog & with the exception of 1 page, I am not terribly tempted. That is not to say, that I could not buy more, but I am not tempted... YAY!

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your applique quilt is so cool! How nice to have such good help around too.

jovaliquilts said...

Wow, that Hebrew letter quilt is awesome! And what perfect fabric from Quilt Otaku. I love the variation in the letter fabrics and background fabrics.

paula, the quilter said...

Hey, thanks for the link. I went cruising thru their blog and Wowza! What great stuff. The applique quilt is looking good. It's Palisade peach season here and I will be puttin' up some peaches in a couple of weeks so I know what you mean about straight from the oven baked goods with an ice cream addition. Yum.

Morah said...

I'm lovin' the aleph bet quilt! Hmmmm....if ya' get tired of this one too.........

Chocolate Cat said...

What a wonderful helper you have! I have almost got my little pile of handstitching ready for Olympic watching!! I better hurry....

Rebecca said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know I stop by your blog and catch up on your life. Since you are after me in the ring, I feel like we are practically neighbors!

The Calico Quilter said...

Regarding those five quilts with attached binding waiting on hand work .... ahem ... I've got five that don't even have the binding attached waiting on my shelf to someday, someday be finished. Thanks, dear, you made me feel not quite so badly about it!

And your alphabet quilt is adorable. As for the assistant cat - well, it's hard to get good help nowadays! LOL I have a rearranger in the house too.

June said...

We "met" at the catsnquilts group a while back. Great to see you are still quilting. Love the alphabet quilt. Such wonderful news about the baby! God Bless!

Michael5000 said...

Oh, zowie, what a cool project! Hebrewalphabetilicious!

Marisa said...

Wow, you're putting that fabric to excellent use! Love your alphabet. So glad the fabric came in handy. Beautiful work, as usual....Cannot believe I'm this behind on reading your blog! Off to catch up on the rest!!