Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Goals...

Goal 1: I sewed the borders onto my Surf & Sand quilt!
Surf & Sand quilt
I am so glad that I added the narrow inner border & I am glad that I allowed that big print enough space in the outer border. The backing is one of the prints from this line as well - so this will be a 100% matchy-matchy quilt.
Here it was while I was sewing on a border...
RB on my surf & sand quilt - as I was piecing
"I thought I was helping."

Goal 2: I decided that the batik bricks quilt was big enough without a border. (It has been languishing & I forgot just how big it is...)
I liked it when I unfurled it...
RB on a batik bricks quilt
So did my helper. The "bricks" are 2.5 x 4.5 cut & on this quilt they are all batiks or hand-dyeds. The "Mortar" is 1.5 x 4.5 - on this quilt black batik. You sew the mortar to the bricks like a rail fence... Mine is set on point, so I have setting triangles too. This is an easy scrappy quilt. & more my style - I think... (I always say that I like scrappy... But there are more & more matchy-matchy quilts being made by me.)

I worked on the back for this quilt - but failed to get a photo... It is a bunch of batik blocks (I was "into" batiks.) that never quite got made into a top. Last night, I thought - add the sashing & make that top... I did not listen, I just sewed the blocks together & tonight I will add borders to make it big enough to be a back. I'll tell you more about those blocks when I show them... They have a "story."

I even did a small amount on the RR X-ing quilt.

One final shot:
RB ready to be mailed to the long arm quilter
RB wanted to go to the long armer... (That black batik will be the binding for the bricks quilt & another quilt.)

Lets see: 2 goals set, 2 goals met! Now for a goal or two for tonight...
1. Finish the back for the bricks quilt
2. Piece the applique quilt together.
3. Do some more piecing on the RR X-ing quilt.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

I like them both but I must admit to preferring scrappy to matchy-matchy.

Andi said...

Awesome! Love them both.

McIrish Annie said...

I love the Surf and Sand even if it is "matchy-matchy". You are doing soo much more than I am! I finally finished the Bella baby quilt but not much else.

Betty J in OKC said...

Great job on both quilts!!! I love your use of color with the batik bricks. :)

Gina said...

Love the surf and sand. THe borders work really well on it
Glad to see you've got a helper too. Stanley likes to help me in the sewing room

Love and hugs Gina xx

Mama Koch said...

I like them both.

Jules said...

I love both of those quilts.

sewprimitive karen said...

RB looks so cute in the box! You have such cute kitties. All of your quilting work looks nice, too.

Esteemarlu said...

I like that quilt top and the colors are so soothing and pretty. They really do say ocean to me.