Thursday, August 28, 2008

A funny, A question & a grumble or 2

Funny - husband says - "I'll eat the zucchini bread, because I need my vegetables."

The question: Can I substitute apple sauce for the oil in the zucchini bread? Is it a 1 for 1 substitution? Does that necessitate a change in cooking time or temp.?
(Based on me using 2 recipes last time - one with cocoa & 1 without, they will not be baked at the lower temp. for longer. I had some uncooked bits...)

The grumble:
my computer is getting slower by the day!

grumble number 2
I am working on a document at work... The database that I use to make the document is a "living database" which means that the developer can & does make changes - on whatever schedule they like...
They just made a change that effects my document. Can I "refresh" to get the new stuff?
No, I have to open a dummy document & cut & paste the new stuff into my document. Which almost guarantees funky formatting issues. I am too far into my document to start over - but I have resorted to that in the past.

Now, I'll go back to eating my cantaloupe & waiting for bloglines....

4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Have you emptied your temp file lately? Sometimes that helps with the speed issues (and sometimes it doesn't)... this computer at work is slooooooooowing to a crawl and freezing far too often. I hate to whine, but it sure makes it hard to get stuff done!

Libby said...

I wouldn't change out the oil for applesauce 1 for 1 on the first go. Maybe 1/4 applesauce 3/4 oil and keep changing a little more on each subsequent batch until you hit a wall.

paula, the quilter said...

I change out either applesauce or baby food prunes for oil all the time. It's an old weight watcher's trick. And yes, it is a 1:1 ration. My recipe calls for 1 cup of oil (ack!) so I use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce. Use a non-sweetened applesauce.

Jules said...

Oh, I had flashbacks to when I was designing software in my old engineering days. Common editing, ugh!

I know nothing about applesauce and oil, though.