Saturday, August 02, 2008

food question

Caveat, my husband & I eat pasta for dinner a lot. (It is easy & available & there is nothing to thaw first.)

We occasionally saute squash & add it to the mix or even frozen sausage - the kind that you don't thaw first.

More often than not we add canned mushrooms.

The reason why this has come up is that Gypsy Quilter just shared a "free" sauce offer. For Bertoli (I think). Which made me say, that's nice but we only eat Paul Newman's sauce. Which made me think, "Anyone else out there use only one brand of sauce?"

(Our excuse - dietary restrictions mixed with taste - his tastes best to us out of the ones that we can eat.)

No "Pepsi Challenge" was used in this study of ours & we probably did not exhaust all of the options out there. It was more like - that tastes good, that will be the brand that we buy. (Oh by the way when it landed at "Big Lots" I bought A LOT! It was at most 1/2 the price as it is in the supermarket. We recently got some at a big box store that shall remain nameless also at just over 1/2 the supermarket price - so we stocked up again.)

Once or twice I have made the pasta sauce from scratch - not worth the time & effort - maybe that is a symptom of growing up on jarred sauce...

9 comments:

julieQ said...

I like his sauce too, also his salad dressings...yum! My mom always made homemade pasta, it was so good, but labor intensive.

Andi said...

We buy one brand of canned sauce...and I'm too lazy to go to the pantry to see which kind! Hubby gets terrible headaches from MSG so that definitely changed my shopping habits.

Mary said...

i am a one sauce kind of gal. Barilla with olives. yum

Enjoying your nursery preparations and sewing pictures. Thanks for you blog.
`

Jules said...

We eat Publix brand because it is cheap. Just the plain kind because I can use it on gluten free pizzas which Amy eats on nights we order pizza or get dinner from Chilis.

miniaturequilter said...

Gotta be Ragu!!!

Jessica said...

for the last year or so we've been a Paul-Newman-only pasta sauce family. Before that we would bounce from brand to brand, sticking to the current favorite for 6mo-1yr before venturing out to try something new. Costas does most of the grocery shopping so we eat whatever he buys. I'd like to try other things, but he's a total pasta snob. (he feels my preferences are "too gypsy American".) There's one brand out there that makes Putanesca (with lots of olives & fun stuff inside) which is my current favorite and I'll buy it if I know he won't be eating any. I also like creamier/cheesier varieties, but for some reason he's totally against those.
I guess i have a lot of food issues/hang-ups from childhood, and because of that (?) he has come to feel his food preferences are superior (i was raised on boxed/prepared foods, he was raised on 100% homemade) and most of the time i don't want to argue about it. that's why he does the grocery shopping...

andsewitis Holly said...

I do home-made mostly, but when not, I use tomato paste and a dry seasoning packet any brand. For pasta salad, though, I will only use Girard's (sp?) Ceasar salad dressing in the triangular glass jar. Period. No exceptions.

Yay about the baby's room! So exciting.

Mary said...

I only use homemade meat sauce usually making a double recipe and freezing the leftovers.

I don't think it takes too much extra time and it's well worth the effort since I do love mine best. I also have a tomato sauce without meat that I make for my Mac & Cheese which is VERY easy too - I may have to try that on spaghetti one of these days.

The Calico Quilter said...

You made me think. What I buy one brand of exclusively I do mostly out of habit. Maybe I need to shake up my shopping habits! -- But mostly for pasta sauce, I make and freeze from my homegrown tomatoes, unless, like this year, the tomato plants are not performing well.