Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blue & Yellow Log Cabin question for you dear readers

If you did not read the earlier post (I read from the top down, so I can easily see how that can happen.) Instead of light & dark, I am going for blue & yellow. I had started to pull darks for the quilt & 95% of the were blue, so...

I am doing the log cabin that is in the book "Quilts for Baby as easy as ABC" by Ursula Reikes. (If you click on the link, you can see it - it looks like as "S.") Oh, & I can not recommend any of her books enough! Just add more blocks to make the quilts "big enough."

She & I make our log cabins all out of 2 inch strips - so the center is not bigger. So the first two pieces are both 2 inch squares.

So should I make 1 yellow & 1 blue? In my gut, the answer is "yes" but then I think about how many log cabins start with a red square... Then I say, "Well, using that logic, what would you put with blue & yellow?" Dunno?

So I am asking you...
Blue & yellow for the center 2 squares
yellow & ______ (you fill in the blank.)
Blue & _______ (You fill in the blank.)

If it helps, the "S" will be yellow. (I am 99% sure that the border will be a blue & yellow star print.) I am hoping that the back will be an ABC panel.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

I would make 1 yellow and 1 blue.

Libby said...

It depends *s* The last 2 strips you put on the block are slightly longer than the previous 2 (and so on) which to me give a prominence to that color (or value.) So it just kind of depends on what you think you want to see most. For me, I would use a yellow center yellow as the first logs making the blue seem more dominant. Why? I dunno . . . but that's what I would do.

Not Lucy said...

When all else fails, get some graph paper and draw out one block or the whole quilt and color it to decide which way to make it! I would think blue and yellow but I could be wrong!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I would go with two different yellows for the center (light-dark, pattern-solid, floral-stripe, etc.)... that way it should create the illusion of sunshine peeking out from the center of each block...

Just a thought...

Kay said...

Just to be different--I think a little red looks good with yellow and blue, so you could do it the traditional way too.

Jacquie said...

what about orange centers? i also love quiltdivajulie's idea.

Bizarre Quilter said...

I'm confused. Can you please make one of each block and post a photo? I can't see enough detail in the link you provided.

Tanya said...

I tend to go with green. In the world of nature those green leaves go with everything.

Exuberant Color said...

In a traditional log cabian block it looks better if the majority is dark, so you start with a dark center and the first strip (square in this case) that you add is the light, then another light, then 2 darks, then 2 lights, etc. You don't have 2 center squares. That is why it easier to have the center a little larger so you don't get confused. Now if you don't want to be traditional.......