Monday, August 18, 2008

The Age of Enlightenment (with a P.S.)

Not to be confused with: The era marked by political aspiration towards governmental consolidation, nation-creation and greater rights for common people, attempting to supplant the arbitrary authority of aristocracy and established churches. (Not unlike McSame, All I know about the Enlightenment, I learned from Wikipedia.)

Rather: the understanding that while on an Rx that says "this will make you sleepy" (in doctor speak of course) you can not stay up until 11 p.m. & beyond to watch the Olympics. Therefore, you also can not be stitching on binding.

Which of course is the long way of saying that I am still working on binding number 2 of 6 quilts.

On the other hand, I did press all I set out to press yesterday! YIPPEE! Now I can do some more piecing on the RR X-ing quilt. & I can try out shirring for the baby's quilt.

& When I got home I pieced 2 backs! (One of the tops is below.) Now I have about 5 quilts ready to send out for long-arming. Reason number 1 why I should not be buying anymore fabric! Reason number 2 - my list of UFO's, WIP's, PIG's, etc.

I give up...
I am 99.9% sure that Finn shared a photo of her friends quilt that they were basting. It was the cover quilt from the April 2006 American Patchwork & Quilting magazine done in different colors (More "my colors" than the one on the cover.) So why did I do mine exactly like the one on the cover? I am not sure, but that happens to me on occasion - I see a quilt done "this way" & that is the only way that I can see to do the pattern. So I make mine the same way... (In this case, that is a good thing, because I obviously had too many pinks!)
Here is mine (or half of it):
DSC05500.JPG (I took the photo during sew-n-tell & cropped it to remove the tables...) I really like the built in border. The back is mostly a Lakehouse Hydrangea print.
Unlike the magazine version, I included hot pink along with the CW double pinks & other assorted pinks, but it is pretty much the same a quilt as the one on the cover of the magazine.
Finn's friend's version had yellow backgrounds with blues & greens for the darks.
Here is my buddy, RB, helping out:
DSC05502.JPG
My girl on the other hand scooted around the edges.

P.S. - back when I pulled the fabrics to make this quilt, they all came from my stash! No fabrics were purchased in the making of this quilt!

9 comments:

Shasta said...

I have a hard time seeing colors differently than the ones presented in the pattern as well, although I am trying to break out of that. This is a beautiful quilt, with wonderful colors.

miniaturequilter said...

Very pretty quilt!!! Love the colors!

Catherine said...

This is really pretty -- accentuated, of course, by the kitty helper!

Exuberant Color said...

If the kitten is a girl, that might be her favorite grown up quilt.

Mary said...

I didn't see Finn's version but I like the pinks and browns you used and pulling all the fabrics from stash is good!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

you are really nesting. 2 backs! That's a lot of work in one day.

Carin said...

I love the pinks in that quilt! I wish I had a stash big enough to pull everything for a quilt from. One day :)

Ruth's Place said...

Wow, wow, wow LOVE this one!! Especially the border!!

I'm impressed that it came totally from stash too!

Kay said...

Well, it's a beautiful quilt in these colors. A great pattern too, simple but striking.