Wednesday, July 02, 2008

an odd question

I have these templates.

Back story: Before blogging, I was ACTIVE on a couple yahoo lists & before flickr, I lurked on webshots. I found a quilt in progress that used this template - I talked one of my yahoo group buddies who was also a webshotter to ask what templates the lady was using, she updated her webshot information & the rest is history. They vend at the Lancaster show annually - so I jotted down the information & made my purchase the next year. I printed off all of the instructions & made grandiose plans in my head.

Several years later, I still have the templates, I still have not used them.

I am not sure how many of you have been to Minka's Studio - Martha has... Anyway Minka posted this lovely quilt which reminded me of my forlorn templates. & it inspired Martha to do this.

So my odd question is this: Can you mix batting in a project like this? I ask the question, because I have a quilt being long armed with a wool batt & I have one scheduled to be quilted with a silk batt & I plan to use a bamboo batt on the Kittens quilt(s). In addition to the cotton poly that I have on hand from all kinds of locations...

BTW if you have a photoless post, link the heck out of it!

7 comments:

Mama Koch said...

I think I have the templates to make that quilt too. Do you sew the circles together and then turn them?

martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
martha said...

I say yes yes yes you can mix the batting. why not? it is the perfect way to use those scraps. I did mine with no batting and I think it would make a nice summer spread that way. I also used this pattern a while back-much bigger- using nine patches as the center square. also nice.

Vicki W said...

I think it would depend on how you are going to treat the finished quilt. If I planned to wash the quilt I would either use the same batting through out or make sure that the battings that I am using are all pre-washed/pre-treated in the way that I will treat the quilt. It's a cool looking quilt!

Shelina said...

It would depend on if they have different care instructions. If one said no dry clean, and the other one said dry clean only, I wouldn't put those two together. As long as all the batting (and fabric) allow you to do what you want to do with it, then it would be perfectly fine.

Betty J in OKC said...

I'd say GO FOR IT!

Mary said...

I don't mix batting in a single quilt. Although I frequently piece leftover batting bits, I wouldn't want a different loft or to have issues when washing a quilt so I always make sure I'm using the same type of batting.