Monday, July 28, 2008

Dinner?

I am completely blaming this on on the Gypsy Quilter. I saw her post yesterday & immediately called my grandmother for her recipe (or more exactly for her Aunt Helen's recipe.)

"Aunt Helen's Chocolate Water Cake" - recipe from the 1930's
(no old cake pans for me... I'll go buy a foil pan - less clean-up & less complaining from the cleaning comittee)
pre heat 300 degrees (less warm that most recipes)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening
vanilla (I just squirt & the recipe failed to mention how much)
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups cold water

pour into an oblong pan & cook until done (I'll use the toothpick after 30 minutes).
The best part - I have all of the ingredients on hand - but I'll buy a bag of sugar just in case - I know we are low on that one.)

Do I need anything else for dinner? If you can think of anything, let me know!

6 comments:

Mama Koch said...

I'll bring my fork.

dee said...

thanks for the recipe!
I hope you're feeling better. I went to the Hershey Show and we stayed in the Hotel. I'll blog about it later, just suffice to say we'll never stay there again. The show wasn't bad but no great shakes. Loved the vendor area....loved it too much!I'm hesitating to show pictures since they said you can't put them on blogs. Unclear what the rules are so that's a bit of a drag as well.
Take care of you and the kitten.

Betty J in OKC said...

Mom and I usually line our cakepans with aluminum foil before baking things like this. It's 102* here, so I'll bring my fork to your house to share yours. 'K? ;)

Rian said...

Ice cream.

Violette Severin said...

You will need a glass of milk; and don't forget to fedex me a piece of cake.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Very cold milk is the only thing I can think to add! Yumm.