Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dear Blog Readers - I need your help

Can you use yellow squash in addition to zucchini in zucchini bread?
Here is my recipe... (I like that it uses cocoa powder instead of a block of baking chocolate. I also like that it is non-dairy. Can you tell that the Kitten likes chocolate?)

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups zucchini peeled, shredded (about 1 medium)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions
1. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla.
2. Stir in zucchini.
3. Combine dry ingredients; add to zucchini mixture and mix well.
4. Pour into two greased 8x4x3-inch loaf pans.
5. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until bread tests done. Makes 2 loaves.

5 comments:

Morah said...

YES! I used to do it all the time. They are both summer squash. May I say YUM! Zucchini bread is my girls FAVORITE!

Dorothy said...

You can use yellow squash, you can use carrots, you can use parsnips or rutabagas even (but I wouldn't) - if you can grate it, you can use it.

Michael5000 said...

Absolutely not. If you use yellow squash, it isn't zucchini bread any more. It's yellow squash bread.

Really, Calico, it's sloppy thinking like this that is eroding our country's global leadership in homemade baked goods.

cindyquiltsOR said...

ha ha ha ... I like Michael's wit!

You can use yellow carrots as well. And a pinch/dash of pumpkin pie spice if you wanted.

Rian said...

Of course you can.

(Loved Michael5000's comments...)