Wednesday, July 09, 2008

current work in progress

As I stated yesterday, I am working on Railroad Crossing Quilt for my dad.
Here are 2 photos from 2 of my books:
Photo from a Marti Michell book From a book by Marti Michell - Quilting for People Who Still Don't Have Time to Quilt.
& this one from a book by Terry Martin, "Focus on Florals" (The cover quilt.)
Photo from a Terry Martin book

I am using Terry's directions, but I may piece the blocks the way Marti does.... (Terry has long rows, Marti pieces the "sashing" onto the blocks.)

Terry's quilt uses a mix of large squares and 4 patches to make up the large squares in the light background. I thought - you have a lot of light nickels.... (I needed 200, I pulled 210 without even thinking... Now I need to trim them all down to 4.5 inches.)

I also mentioned that I had a bag of strips that I was using for the strip pieced units. Well, I did not get enough "2's" out of those strips - so I went right back to my nickles and got similar prints to use in addition!

So far all of thise quilt is coming out of my stash! (I can admit that when I decided to do this quilt, I got a train print for the fussy cut dark squares, but it has been in my stash for so long...)

Here is my box of fabrics:
Some of my fabrics The whites/lights are untrimmed at this time, the leaf print is the stack that I made last night from my nickles.

13 comments:

cher said...

nice start to what should be a fun quilt Amy! shopping from the stash is always my first choice-great selection of fabrics

Shelina said...

It looks like a fun quilt to make. I can't imagine trimming all those charm squares, since the whole point of buying squares is to avoid cutting. I wonder if you could use the whole squares, and adjust the size of the remaining fabric accordingly. Maybe make fewer blocks and get the same size quilt.

Rian said...

Oh that is a very nice pattern. I think it will look great in the fabrics you chose. I want to seriously pare down my stash and I might just follow in your footsteps.

Jules said...

Being that you are a fabriholic like myself, have you seen Marti's daughter's fabric? I took a fabric dying class from her this year. Very nice stuff.

paula, the quilter said...

It seems that the one I made is a combo of both! I actually used strings from the paint buckets to make mine. You will have fun doing this for your dad.

Carin said...

Should be beautiful!

Andrea said...

Ooh how exciting - a new quilt. Great feeling isn't it ? Looks a great pattern - you have some lovely fabrics in your box of tricks - lol.

Exuberant Color said...

I'm with Shelina, I would have left the squares 5" and just adjust the rest and make fewer squares.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Love those frosties!

I've got them in various colors in my stash. That will add a nice element of visual texture for your quilt yummy.

Greenmare said...

Can't wait to see your progress! I think Rhapsody should help out with this one too, she is sooooooooooo pretty!!

Deb H said...

I like the rich colors in your box. zthey'll make a warm & manly quilt for Dad.

The kiitys below are so cute! I love the way they look at you.

Ruth's Place said...

It's going to be great. Looks like lots of fun.

Tanya said...

That box of fabric looks yummy! Wow, you don't believe in slowing down in preparation for the baby do you! It will be a happy baby because you are doing what you like while you are pregnant!