Thursday, June 05, 2008

weather

There are some things that anyone can talk about - weather is one of them.
The Greater DC area had some serious weather yesterday afternoon/night.

SEVERE Thunderstorms on my way home from work - it got so bad that there wasn't room on the shoulders to pull over...

No electricity - Very enlightening to see how relaint on electricity we are...
Luckily we have a gas stove so I was able to make the chicken (minus the butter/oil/margarine - I figured that the chicken skin would impart enough fat & I was right. Luckily the chicken was a quick grab in the fridge. Not sure if I was supposed to saute the onions & garlic or not - I didn't & it worked out anyway.) dish that I had planned on makeing anyway. The stove does have an electric ignition, but a match will do the trick in an emergency.

I have to admit that I watched some Andy Griffith on my lap top using the battery...

When my husband got home, we played some backgammon until the lights came back on & the chicken was done. (By candle light at the end - luckily I got some candles as gifts - I am not a candle girl.)

What do you do when there is no electricity?

7 comments:

Libby said...

We are game players, too - even when the lights are on.

Judy H. said...

I have only ever lost electricity in very cold weather, or during the day. I have a laptop, so I can use the battery, but if the power's off, my router's down, so I can't get online.

Normally, since I'm worried about keeping warm, I'll make a fire, keep it stoked up high enough that it also provides decent light, and sit close and either read or knit.

Jeanne said...

Glad you're OK. I just this evening read about all the bad weather.
Jeanne

Karen said...

Hi, Amy, hope all is back to normal now.

Rian said...

Candles, iPod, playing cards, laptop, wine.

Ruth's Place said...

We lose power on a regular basis - so I always have candles. Then I look at my watch and wait the two hours it takes for it to come back on (scheduled power stoppages due to electricity shortage in South Africa). It gives me a good excuse to stop work and knit or quilt though. I have to admit that I have worked my machine by hand during a power outage :)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I have a friend who lives in the south and when they lose electricity - she moves her entire family out to the camper! Too funny, but it works for them. Me, well, I wait it out. Love to bar-b-que year-round anyway but I always hope the water comes back on as quickly as possible - although we do have these HUGE tanks full of water (2 tanks take up an entire room) so that really isn't too much of an issue... but we are on electric heat.
And in storms - I pull over too - if you can't see to drive... well that is just asking for trouble!

Cheers!
Evelyn