Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The subject that everyone hates to talk about & more from the quilt show

Copyright: Can anyone explain this as it applies to photographs that you take in a venue where photography is allowed?

Specific: I took a photograph of a quilt at a quilt show where photography was allowed (unlike Quilt National that I also attended where photography is explicitly not allowed.) I even gave the quilter credit. I am now told that my photograph is a copyright violation...

On with the status quo - only now I won't bother to dot down titles, makers, or even prizes... (I only go for the visual stimulation anyway - all the other info. was for you. & for the quilters - giving credit & all, but they are the ones who have a problem with my photographs.)

I previously blamed the baby for a lack of titles & makers...

On with the rest of the show:
Serenity Garden display (flowers made with ric rac) I took this photo because the flowers are made with ric-rac. CLEVER!
scrappy challenge It's scrappy - need I say anything else...
scrappy challenge More from the scrap bin.
Bird quilt I kinda really like that bird print...
fishing quilt If my husband were a fisherman or if we had a lodge...
fishing quilt block I mean, what is not to like about that fish?
fish appliques on a log cabin I made a Trip Around the World once upon a time ago that was watery & my plan was to applique fishies on it just like this... (Too much work in the piecing - I chickened out & put the fish on the back.)
red stars on a cream background Simple yet sophisticated.
DSC05005.JPG WOW
Baltimore Album Quilt One of the Better Baltimore Album quilts that I have seen in a while.
BAQ Block (Washington Monument in Baltimore, Maryland) The original Washington Monument in Baltimore.

There are more on my flickr, but this is all that I will be posting. I am going to another show this weekend (In Annapoils if anyone is in the area.), so get ready for another show next week.

Oh & the winners at the Syndey show have been revealed: http://www.quiltersguildnsw.com/quiltshow/
Michelle Turner professionally quilted a few of them - she used to blog...

5 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

The rickrack flowers are clever indeed! I wouldn't have guessed if you hadn't told us.

I don't quite get that copyright thing. If they let you take photos, and you put it on your blog with credit, and are not making money from it, how is it a copyright violation? Maybe just the fact that you are displaying them means it's not just for personal use?

Rian said...

I enjoyed the quilt show with you. Your comments made the photos much more interesting. I am captivated by that one pattern but I don't know what it's called.

Vicki W said...

thanks for the virtual quilt show! I love seeing all of the scrap quilts - they are always my favorites!

Kim West said...

I don't get it either. I think they are confusing "copywrite" with "terms of use" -- might just be easier to say copywrite, but it leads to all the confusion.

Sharon said...

I don't quite get the copyright thing either, unless perhaps it was a personal pattern? I think perhaps the virtual world makes the already muddy issue of copyright murkier, because now anyone might see the pattern and use it? I dunno. I think I might ask the person who told you that you had violated it to help you understand what it is that was violated?