Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hoop Dreams

I can admit that since seeing several quilters incorporate embroidery into their patchwork & applique I have been enthralled/enamoured! (I wasn't so keen when I thought that the embroidery was only on crazy quilts.) But I am collecting Lynette's free Noah's Ark patterns & I have one or two other embroidery for quilts patterns...

But what got me started "now" - my round robin, this round is the embroidery round. So I traced a cat onto muslin to practice on... (I won't be sharing that one.) I then traced the pattern onto the round robin - the tension was palpable! I used back stitch intead of the stem stitch that I had been practicing - because it did not look so awkward in spots. & I did my first french knot that actually stayed a knot on the top of the project - HAPPY DANCE! (I won't be sharing the round robin...)

Here is what I will share, the second attempt at the stem stitch cat.
What are you doing? First, you know that I had to have help!
Floss for me? A lot of help...
My embroidery design Here is the kitty traced onto the muslin.
Where do I go next? I started in a spot where I could go to the right for a while, but then I get to a "turn" & I am STUCK! What should I do at that point? I stuck my needle through to the back & came up in another spot - leaving the last bit of stitcing a bit light in comparison to the rest...
I get to this point & wonder where to go next. & since there was another turn, I got stuck again...
I did not photograph it, but I had the same "light" stitching at the elbow...
On the original, I completely messed up on the eyes - 2 strands was too thick so on this one I will try them with one strand.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I take the last 'doubled' stitch ending it up to the corner, and then go back a thread or so and come up again to start the new direction ... but my corners aren't great. Maybe Anne will have a better suggestion for us both.
Cute cute kitty!
Jeanne :)

McIrish Annie said...

definitely go with one strand on stuff like eyes and little tiny letters. I find taking smaller stitches in tight spots keeps it neat.

Betty J in OKC said...

I *love* Darcy Ashton's cats. She's got another free cat-pattern under "Claire's Cats 2". It has a cat holding it's teddybear. :) www.ashtonpub.com

Pieceful Afternoon said...

When I come to a corner I put the needle down at the end of the last stitch - to the backside of the fabric - then take a tiny stitch right into the thread on the back of the project - just catching a thread or two. Then I bring the needle right back up to the front through the same hole it went down through - but that last stitch on the top won't come out because the thread has been anchored to the thread on the back of the project - and you don't get an empty or thin stitch to start with. Hope that is understandable.

Michael5000 said...

It's an excellent likeness....

(nice post title, too...)

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

That looks like pretty heavy thread. Embroidery is one of the best take along projects for quilters, when you use it in a quilt. You'll be waiting in Dr's office a lot pretty soon, so it's nice to have something to do. Congratulations!!

I usually have to take stitches to pull back my embroidery stitches where they need to be. Especially on corners and curves.