Monday, May 19, 2008

The state of the Stewdio

You have had hints throughout the weekend & some of you know or figured out the impetus.
What's going on officially? The stewdio will also be the infants room.
So I am rearranging furniture & culling stuff.
To begin, I do not have a great "game plan" for attacking the situation & the room wasn't ever "together" to begin with...

In my mind, my stewdio will be in a "alcove" of my making. Therefore, I pulled off every piece of fabric from my Container Store shelving unit & turned it to be parallel to the closet instead of perpendicular to it along the wall. (I now hope that a piece of baby furniture will abut that unit on the back side.) Since there is space between the closet & the shelves, I plan to put my tall book case along the wall - completing my alcove & I sincerely hope that all of my stash/quilting stuff fits in that space. (I need to trash the circa 1970 dinette table that I used for cutting & sewing - on occasion). That will leave 2 low book cases for baby stuff & room for baby furniture.

The fabric story:
Once upon a time ago, I was into Oriental fabrics. I planned to make a pieced cat quilt using them, I have nickels cut for a multitude of projects, I had other scraps ready for yet other projects... I am not so much into Orientals anymore. So much so that I sold some earlier & The scraps that I saved - just in case - are now in a baggies awaiting postage & an address. (I do have 2 UFO's using Orientals that I still hope to complete & I did do 2 Oriental quilts.)

Batiks - Almost a ditto of above...

30's - I was never "into" them. As a matter of fact, I only reluctantly purchased the kitty themed ones for my cat charm quilt... I then got some others from a friend & in a "grab bag" in a shop for my "I'm going to sell baby quilts business." (You can stop laughing now!) I did get some other Novelty 30's, because their scale is a nice contrast & Those Beer Steins were to fun!

Cats - While I pulled each & every one off of the shelves, I did not sort them very well when putting them back, but I did cull some for the pillow cases & some are in my "3 bags full." (My general novelties & cats are sharing a space that once was only cats! Also on that shelving system are a good amount of Taupes, neutrals (creams, grays B&W's) Jan Mullen prints & my Judaica collection.

CW repro - I so got caught up in the thought process of "I live in the CW region, I should make a CW quilt - or 2, 3..." I have 2 UFO's & some fabric... (I may be culling that next.) I'll keep the shirtings - I like lights & I like to be scrappy when using lights.

I went through most of my color piles & culled some into the "3 bags full." (If you are looking for color scraps let me know - I've got a good amount of some!)

I have more decisions to make - based upon the pile-o-bags in front of the bookcase that needs to be in the alcove - millenium charms, pieced cats (x 4 or 5), etc. & the stuff under & behind the table AKA corner that I did not get to!

If you read this far - thanks! I you have any words of encouragement THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

13 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Moving into a smaller space is always hard, but streamlining is always rewarding. Good luck!

Vicki W said...

Just reading it made me tired! You have a great motivation though - I couldn't do what you are doing without the proper motivation. Kudos to you!

paula, the quilter said...

Keep going kiddo. You are making great progress.

Ruth's Place said...

You are doing great! It can be hard to part with fabric, I really admire you. Mind you, you do have great motivation! :)

I have all my fabric in plastic tubs, but then I don't think I have as much fabric as you...

Tracey in CT said...

Amy, the good news here is that you have lots of time to get yourself organized. Until the baby is mobile, you can really just shove the crib into any available corner and not have to worry too much about the rest of the room. Take your time, don't overdo it and be sure to get plenty of rest!!!

Kay said...

Well, I don't know if it's encouragement, but I'm amazed at the ruthless way you're doing this! Nothing like motivation, is there? :)

Karol-Ann said...

I actually now feel inspired to be more realistic with my stash as I am about to move my stash and stuff about again, although I do hate getting rid of fabric. I think of the $'s spent and then my will power fades...
When you have a little person you will have even less time to sew so this is good! Be strong!

Kathie said...

good for you organizing and setting up your stewdio space as well as space for the baby.
You will need the studio to be ready to use when you have a few minutes to sew!
Organization is key and you seem to have it all under control!
and you know where you can always send the civil war repros...my favorites :)
Kathie

Michael5000 said...

Yikes, you're giving up your quilting space?!?! I KNEW there was a reason I chose not to have children....

Oh wait, you wanted ENcouragement...

Actually, it sounds like you've got a good plan for giving yourself room for fabric projects and, um, the big new project! It does sound like a lot of work, though. Courage! Frequent breaks!

Libby said...

Keep up the good work . . . you are my inspiration. I'll be taking on the same job this weekend, not for an infant - but for the return of The Princess. I have had full run of her former bedroom for 9+ years. This summer she is returning to the nest temporarily while she sets herself up as a real-life civilian working girl *s*

Tanya said...

It sounds like you have treasure trove! But a baby is far more precious so it is good you are making space!

Rose Marie said...

Culling what we don't want or are not interested in anymore is a good thing. In 10 years, my tastes have changed as well. Congrats on the baby news.

Betty J in OKC said...

Let me know if you'd like to sell any of your batiks. I'll give them a *good home*. LOL! I have 6 cats for my babies. :)