Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The other quilt. (I saved the best for last.)

Once upon a time ago, Holly sent me this lovely gift. Since she use a Laurel Burch print in the border, I knew that I wanted to at least use a Laurel Burch print for the binding. The minor problem with that plan, my collection of Laurel Burch prints consisted of parts of fat quarters - meaning I had already chopped out a charm or 2 from the cat quarter. Not that any of those would have been chosen for the binding anyway. (I chose a cat print for binding once & have "regretted" it ever since...)

Several months later, the "last" Laurel Burch cat fabric line was released. (L.B. passed away, but I kind of think tkat her estate will rerun some of her ideas...) I had to have some to finish Holly's lovely quilt!

I bought 2 panels & some yardage for the back & a nice piece for the binding.

Here is the result.
Cat quilt The whole quilt (with the binding attached, but not finished.)
Cat quilt detail (Pieced block) The pieced corner blocks.
cat quilt detail (Cat embroidery) One of the hand embroidered & hand crayoned cats. I am happy with how the long armer traced around the embroideries & appliques. (I was at a loss on how to quilt this...)
cat quilt detail (mouse applique) The hand appliqued mouse.
Laurel Burch quilt back The back (I tried to be artsy with the yellow & stingy with the cats...) At least when I lable it by writing directly on it with a pigma pen, it will show up on the yellow! Yes, I do lable like that - often!

Thanks again Holly! I still love it, especially the part about how I don't have to make it!

8 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

Neat quilt! I label like that quite often too. I feel that if someone is going to steal a quilt that s/he will rip the label off, but it will be more difficult to do when the info is directly on the quilt. It is a bit egocentric of me, I guess, to think that one of my quilts is spectacular enough to steal. *s*

Kay said...

Cute! The kitten would like this one, I bet.

Supermom said...

Amy,
I have sent your summer partner info 2x. Checy your spam folder or deleted items. is there another email I can send it to you at?
Supermom (Margaret)

miniaturequilter said...

I really like the quilt, because of the mouse!!!! (not a cat person-sorry) The mouse is so cute!!

julieQ said...

How cute! I have one...just one! piece of Laurel Burch fabric. I am hoarding it...

Ruth's Place said...

It's so cool! At least you are putting a label on. I've only managed to do it on half of the quilts I've made...

andsewitis Holly said...

Wow, Amy, this turned out fantastic quilted! And what's even better is that you liked the top in the first place :) It went to a good home.

Karen Dianne Lee said...

This is a totally neat quilt! OMG I'm really having a hard time visiting here this evening. Hard to contain myself and all. ;)