Thursday, May 01, 2008

On quilting for baby

Once upon a time ago, I started a hand appliqued project for my baby (I knew I was going to have one, I just did not know how long it would take to get there!) - that ufo has been stewing for a very long time in my "stewdio" (& my apartment before that). Lets classify that one as unrealistic.

I have another fused applique with hand button holeing project, but this one has always been a "good" quilt. (Kind of like the good china that you only use every so often.) I know that that makes no sense, but there you have it. Besides, it is only a bit farther along that the other one. Lets classify that one as not the kind of baby quilt that I am talking about.

You may or may not know, that I am a flickr fanatic. So I get to see a lot of inspiration - not much of is makes me say, I want to make something like that for my baby, which is good, because I have at least 3 flickr projects for big quilts.

Many ideas have floated through my head as possibilities - but I am using Minkies cousin as the back, so I will probably be tieing or big stitch quilting, so many of the tiny pieces ideas are out the window & probably a tad bit unrealistic. With that said, I am also not interested in just squares randomly sewn together or 1 big log cabin block...

As the end of this post I am back to thinking, I want something green/yellow or a rainbow. & I've got not much beyond that figured out - except that they will both be about 60 inches square.

BTW If you were having a baby, I would have NO problem figuring out what to do.

7 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I have an unfinished counted cross stitch alphabet that I started while pregnant with my first child ... she's going to be 24 in September.

miniaturequilter said...

Here is the one I'm working on, not just plain blocks sewn together, but simple enough that it is a useable quilt and not one to put away and save. I like how it looks all laid out, and you can make it any color!
http://quiltville.com/ispya4patch2.shtml

Mary said...

OMG, where have I been? Congratulations! I know they're not your typical baby quilts but if I were to have one now (god forbid!) I'd make Amish quilts. One of my favorite books...
http://tinyurl.com/6rxsyz

Shelina said...

Special quilt - as in it needs to be a special occasion in order for you to make it, or special occasion for using?

Since you don't have trouble deciding on making quilts for other people's babies, how about you make a quilt for Mr. Calico Cat's baby?

Tanya said...

I know how you feel about being able to decide for someone else but not for yourself. I can put together a quilt for someone with hardly any question at all as to which pattern or fabric but I fiddle faddle around on my own quilts.

Supermom said...

60" square is rather large for a baby quilt. Quilts my children had (and used until in a twin sized bed), were at most 36 x 48". It's huge in a crib otherwise.

nanann said...

I *completely* understand what you are saying. I have so many great ideas for other people's babies, but *my* baby quilt needed to be special and I had so much trouble finding something special enough.

by the way, I would totally and completely suggest a signature quilt for people to sign at your baby showers. I've done them for both my girls and am just so thrilled. And don't do typical "white brick" ones, but something cool. Both of my girls' quilts are made out of batiks. One is square in a square (signatures and thought on the inner square), and the other is full of appliqu├ęd "flowers" that were signed. (i'd show pics, but not on flicker)