Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day Care - almost a saga...

A. I don't have a choice, but to offer up my child to some complete stranger for rearing... (Yes, I am bitter - but it is expensive to live where we live & the offer of moving to NY did not sound any better.)
B. I am not interested in "in home" care. (I don't trust the system that checks on those providers.)
C. I signed up to be on the list for the work site child care centers - the odds are against us on getting into those centers. Husbands work option does not do infants.
D. I went to the non-work sponsored child care site that is within walking distance of my office - 12 infants waiting for 1 spot that will be opening in September - the odds are once again stacked against us.
E. Went to a child care center that is not very convenient to get to, but is not horribly out of the way entirely either. (Husband could not get there on his bus route.) They seemed optomistic about having an opeing in February. They were not very open to the cloth diaper plan & their fee includes linens that they wash & snacks (two things that I am not completely thrilled with for personal/weird reasons.)
F. Went to a child care center that is more convenient especially for the husband - he could drop off the infant in the morning, as the center is at a bus stop. They do not provide linens or snacks - both are o.k. in my book. They are open to cloth diapers. They all but guaranteed (in writing) a spot in February...
G. Did not visit the closest child care center... (Over load - they are all similar - based on regulations & You can't in reality choose based upon the employees.)
H. Did not look further although there are other options out there.

So hubby should be dropping off a deposit check to option F today.

& for grins & whistles, any guesses on the going rate for full time infant (6 weeks old to 14 months - 3 infants to 1 caretaker ratio) care per week? (Think of buying a small car or paying tuition to modestly priced university. The MIL is in disbelief about this one too. I can admit that I was shocked to hear the number myself, but they are caring for my child - paying wages, rents, etc.)

20 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

My daughter is a Nanny, and between families. She only worked part-time and pulled in $300! I did daycare in my home in the 80's, going rate then was around $100. Things change SO fast!

Gina said...

Childcare costs are horrendous over here aswell. I know some women who pay near enough three quarters of their wages for chidcare.

love and hugs xxx

Mama Koch said...

**waving hand feverishly** I'll keep your baby! DH said that he wished we would've had another one and here's my chance! lol

I do feel for you. Childcare is pretty easy to find out here in boonieville, but it's still expensive.

Tracey in CT said...

Based on what I've heard around here, I would guess that an infant in full time care would fall in the $250-$300 per week range.

Kay said...

40K a year for a nanny in the Chicago area. They earn it, I think, but from the payer side, it's horrible, and of course only open to a few. Child care is one of the less understood problems in this country.

McIrish Annie said...

I know it has to be around $300. in Jacksonville, my nephew and his wife are going to pay in that range. When Alex was a baby, I paid $150 and that was 21 years ago!!

Supermom said...

Six years ago we paid $175 a week. Sign up for pretax dollars for childcare before the start of the year. It helps. I too was leary of in-home care until we found a nanny last fall that was FANTASTIC. When they are great, they are SO much better than the centers. Our center for my son was decent, but I always found that they were too busy since there is a 5:1 ratio for the infants. They never changed diapers "on demand" but rather every "x" hours (unless they smelled poo). So we had more rashes. They also allow them to sleep whenever more than putting them onto a schedule like you would want. Upshot - centers do work but your child gets 20% of someone's attention. Just go into the daycare situation with eyes open - your's may be great.

Sheridan said...

I have no idea about costs in the US, but in Sydney, Australia at the moment you would pay USD 450-500 per week for an infant in a child care centre. I hope yours is cheaper than that!

Andi said...

Luckily DH was "between jobs" when baby K was born, so we didn't have the infant rate...$200 a week for a 1-yr-old was bad enough! So, we are not having more. I don't know how young families do it!

Shelina said...

Good for you for starting early. I'm glad you found an option that works for you. I went through 10 babysitters in one year. We did eventually settle into arrangements that we liked though.

miniaturequilter said...

Very hard to deal with the childcare situation, cost, and esp. leaving your new baby in some other persons care. I hope something better comes along for you.

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Whew. I can't imagine.

julieQ said...

Child care costs when I was finished paying was around 120.00/week for part time 10 years ago, so I can't imagine now what the costs are.(this was when my son was older)

I had an old grandma lady when my son was born and took him to her home and it was truly wonderful! I wish you could find a situation like that...she charged 35.00/week! But my son is 22 now...

Exuberant Color said...

Do you have an option of a 6 month leave of absense from your job? It sounds to me like you will have to work just to pay for child care. Wouldn't you rather be the one taking care of the baby? And away from all of the germs the other kids are bringing?

Mrs. Mandy said...

I actually opened a church-based chldcare center in our area because there were no options for infants within a 45 mile radius of our small town! I can totally sympathize with your nervousness and difficulty. I pray you find a center with a loving staff that will be able to set your mind at ease and will take wonderful care of you little one!

Michele said...

I'd guess $400 - $450 for infant care. We're down to $266 for the 3-year old. Sad, isn't it, that we're happy it's so low compared to what it was before?

Tanya said...

3 to 1 sounds good to me. Not many people have childcare around here (though in Tokyo it is a must). Most young parents rely on their parents or in-laws usually because they all live together. (Wouldn't that give you nightmares!) I lived with my kids 24 hours a day for three years (no evenings with my husband. He worked until 10:00 and no babysitters anyway). No wonder Japanese mothers put their kids in all day kindergarten at age three!

atet said...

I know three years ago I paid something like 212 per week for mine. It gets a bit less expesive the older they get -- but not a whole lot.

Shelli said...

well, knowing that we pay 1700 per month for the cheeky to go to daycare/pre-school, it makes sense that your area would be similar.

Malka started at 8 months old, and I know lots of infants that started as early as 4 months old - and all have done quite nicely!

Shelli said...

oh yeah - and the going rate for nannies in NYC is 500 per week - MINIMUM.