Sunday, May 25, 2008

CSA & The fish dinner that wasn't

Background:
My husband & I went to Australia for our honeymoon a few years ago. We knew that we would not be eating Skippy (The Bush Kangaroo - an Aussie TV show from the 60's - it showed in the US in the late 60's early 70's.) or crocodile. What we did eat was Barramundi - a fish that is indigenous to Australia.

So after shopping for baby furniture, we decided to check out Whole Foods - they had nice corn outside... The had farm raised Barramundi! We got a couple filets & a couple pieces of Icelandic Char. When we got home, my husband carried in the groceries & put the perishables away (Including the beef that we had set out to thaw earlier). We ended up eating out instead of making one of the fish dishes last night.

So I m preparing to make dinner & I asked my husband which fish he wanted to eat. Without hesitation he said barramundi. So I went to the fridge... I only found the char. "Where is it?" (It never got out of the grocery sack...)

So we had a nice piece of char with a salad. :o)

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

Today was our first day to pick up fruits & veggies. (Our weather has been wet & cold...No complaints from me!) 
We got Spinach (which made it into our salad), peas, asparagus, strawberries, radishes & either onions or leeks... I am thinking onions, but the bulbs are shaped like leeks - I sent the farmer an e-mail to verify. I will use leeks differently than onions. :o)

Oh & we went to Frederick, Maryland today to see the National Museum of Civil War Medicine & a store that sells the cloth diapers that we are thinking about using - we wanted to "see" them instead of just reading about them.

5 comments:

Libby said...

Sounds like your first delivery was a good one . . . I may have to follow suit on the email idea. I'm sure I'll receive a mystery veggie or two before long *s*

cher said...

we did fresh produce delivery a few years ago-fun and tasty.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

Yea! for CSA! Locally grown is so much tastier. I didn't see your mystery vege but my guess is onion.
Leeks have a grass like green (like lemon grass)and onion is a more tube like green. A lot of Onions have a hormone release that makes them "bulb". Its too early, and the daylight or temp to short to release hormone, so my guess is its onion.
We have a lot of onions right now. Its perfect onion weather.

I have leeks starts to plant and harvest is fall.

Mama Koch said...

CSA sounds like a good thing.

Calico Kitten...so cute!

Michael5000 said...

Hmm, we're starting CSA this year too. Theory is that fresh veggies will supplant the Pop Tart food group in my diet. I hope it doesn't just turn out to be an insanely wasteful way to add bulk to our compost....