Tuesday, April 29, 2008

on quilt shows & quilting

Pondering number 1 "Do I or don't I?" That is the question... How many quilts should I share? Well, this is a quilt blog & I have more photos that are worthy of sharing...

Pondering number 2 "The apparent rotation of quilts in national quilt shows." I have been seeing on blogs many photos from Paducah. I have never been to Paducah & have always been rather forlorn about that fact... I am missing something... But it is not the quilts... Out of the quilts that I have seen on the blogs that I visit, less that 25% are "new to me." That means that I have seen them at Houston, Mid-Atlantic, Lancaster, Hershey, or Harrisburg this year or last year. (& several of them did well in both venues.)

Pondering Number 3 - my own quilting... (Or lack there of.) I got the label & binding attached to the doll quilt that needs to be in the mail sooner rather than later, but last night I got one of those over the eyeball head aches, so I was not able to hand stitch it down... I have half square triangles counted and ready to become 3 different doll quilt tops... I have not been able to sit at the sewing machine to sew them together...

Pondering Number 3.5 - I have 2 backings for a quilt or 2 for my very own work in progress baby, but the ideas on what to actually do are few & far between... I have to keep consoling myself, that I have the chance to make 2 quilts... :o)

Pondering number 4 My UFO's, WIPs, Kits, WHIMMS, bundles of fabric, stash... What to do with it? I'd love to pull it all out & cull it ruthlessly. (Heck then I might even be able to find stuff that I wanted to work on, but couldn't find.) If I culled it ruthlessly - cut at charm or two for me & a charm or two for you (I SPY) would any one be interested? (I can only pay the postage on so much & a ton to Japan - probably strained my postal budget :o) but that bit of fabric is GONE!)

Pondering number 5 charity quilting - locally it seems that they want finished products only. I hate to say it, but if I could finish my own stuff, then I could think about finishing something for charity... meanwhile if any charities wanted fabric...

I'll post some more quilt show photos in a little while, in the meantime, I'd love some responses to my ponderings...

12 comments:

Kay said...

Pondering #2: I don't think you need to feel forlorn about missing Paducah. (I've been twice, and that's plenty for me.) You have seen most of the quilts, as you say. You've missed the vendors, and Hancocks of Paducah, but then you're trying to cull fabric, right? :) You've also missed the appalling crowds, and that's a good thing.

Mama Koch said...

I've been to Houston, but would love to go to Paducah sometime...maybe just to say I've been there.

It's kinda like Disneyland...been there, done that, don't care to go back. Too many other places I'd like to go!

Just take a deep breath and tell yourself that your hormones are upside down....!!

paula, the quilter said...

On #5 you might check out some of the Native American charitable organizations. Don't the Lakota Sioux make beautiful star quilts? And the Seminole piecing? Just a suggestion.

Anne said...

I'm always interested in swapping for enough of a charm square to make six little 1 inch hexagons. Postage is expensive to Australia, I know, but I can return the favour and include Aeros :) - see what you think. -Anne from http://pinsandthimbles.wordpress.com

Andi said...

Your ponderings gave me enough to think and write about on my own blog!

julieQ said...

The bigger shows are kind of overwhelming to me! But it is fun to go every great once in a while. We have our local show next month and it is just the right size...I would love to see more of your quiltie pics!!Hope you have a great day today!

Happy Zombie said...

Show what you love - regardless is someone else has shown them. I love when you post your show pics and love seeing what it is that floated your boat!

McIrish Annie said...

lots of pondering goin' on over there! I'm going to give you a piece of your OWN advice which you recently gave me! JUST DO IT!!

Shelina said...

Lots of questions can only lead to lots of answers!
Pondering number 1 How many quilts should I share? I don't get to shows much, so I enjoy whatever others post. Plus it is nice to see what interests others. So please share
Pondering number 2 "The apparent rotation of quilts in national quilt shows." There are only so many quilters who feel comfortable exhibiting their quilts, and they can only show so many. So probably going to a couple of shows will show you almost everything there is to see. But there will always be that lone one that was only at one show.

Pondering Number 3 - my own quilting... (Or lack there of.) Sorry you are not feeling well. Hang in there. No rush. Plus you'll have plenty of time to make lots and lots of quilts for the little one. There isn't a limit.

Pondering number 4 My UFO's, WIPs, Kits, WHIMMS, bundles of fabric, stash... What to do with it? If you are able to give up your stuff, then I would try to donate it locally, so it doesn't cost you even more to get rid of things. Maybe freecycle, or give to the local thrift store, or probably better, have a yard sale or ebay the stuff. Kate North gives away one thing a week on her blog. I'm sure she pays plenty in postage though.

amandajean said...

you could make more than 2 baby quilts. I had the hardest time trying to decide what kind of quilt to make my 3rd (and last) baby. Not knowing the gender made it tricky, so I made a boy one quilt (which turned out pretty ugly) and a girl quilt, which turned out pretty cute. thankfully, I had a girl. :)

miniaturequilter said...

You may feel better in another month or 2. You may want to make several quilts if you feel up to it then. I wish i had made some bigger crib size (like a lap quilt) for my toddler. You may want to cut down on the stash too for now, I know for the first year i didn't get any quilting done,(other moms are able to, i just couldn't manage to) and I had this big stash of stuff taking up room.AND i'd love some I spy material, I have alot cut too, but it's all boys themed.

Ruth's Place said...

Hang on for a while before giving stuff away, your second trimester should bring heaps of energy,and once you get into a routine with the new baby there will be time again for quilting.