A couple days ago, Libby asked to see our ironing boards... Here is mine a day late & a dollar short with stuff on it... It is a June Taylor Press & Cut - & I used the cutting side a lot too - I have a bigger cutting mat & an over the door ironing board, but I use this a lot more - as a matter of fact this is my 3rd & I am about ready for my 4th!
Those are the blocks that I pressed open - don't ask how many there are, I plan to count them tonight. There should be enough for the on-point setting & I know that there are more that were called for in the pattern.
Aside: If I am making blocks & end up with 17 instead of 16, I make 3 more instead of deciding which one to use on the back or as an orphan... (That is not me!)
And in that photo, you can see some yarn dyed taupes, some high contrast blocks, some low contrast blocks, some light blocks & some dark blocks... Nice of me to pull out that assortment for you huh? Oh & those stars were given to me by the only person who likes Taupes more that me, Marisa - Thanks again! Also, I started out by cutting a pair of fat rectangles & a pair of skinny rectangles from each piece of taupe in my stash. Except that I cut 2 pairs of each from the stars & when I found out that I had more than I needed, but not enough for the setting only bigger, I cut a few more - the skinnies from my scraps :o) & the fatties from the yarn dyeds mostly, so that there would be more of them - they were/are under represented - in the begining I did not buy them... (See the aside above.)
Oh, & I was going to pull out that design wall wasn't I? - GRUMBLE! I think I complained about it before - if not here goes... without naming names, I am sure that you have seen this portable design wall in catalogs & at quilt shows... I got one from the catalog with a gift certificate. That one included the wrong size poles... they eventually sent replacements... I ran into the designer or a distributor (don't know which & it doesn't matter) at a show, and expressed my displeasure, they gave me another - this one is that one... I CAN'T get the cross supports to work! As always your milage may vary & if you like it, I am so happy for you! I used mine propped up against my sofa...
Since I am not a "move them around until you get a pleasing mix" quilter, I will sew up the blocks like I have sewn up my other on-point projects... Add the 3 triangles to 1 block - twice, add two triangles to 3 blocks - twice, continue through 5, 7, 9, etc. then sew the rows together. You only have to pay attention with the triangles, and only then after rows 5, 7, 9. So I usually wait to put the triangles onto those rows until I am ready to sew them to the other rows. I found this to be helpful especially if I am making a rectangle shaped quilt instead of a square.
When sewing my rows of 5, 7, 9, etc. I will be fiddly with choosing not to put two star blocks next to each other, etc. but as the go together into rows, I just go with it... That is random for me, just like when you thrown a number generator (sorry that is the teacher in me - everyone else knows them as dice - or die for the singular) you will get a 1 followed by a 1, so if a star lands next to a star - so be it.
& Just so you can see there there is a use for the design wall:
He loves it!
She likes the poles.
And so you know that the technical difficulties were not all mine - I had help from him:
Eventually, I may try to tape the design wall up onto a wall - or maybe not... (I think for me that it would only be a way to store blocks.)