Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Published?

I know that several of you have been published - either books, chapters, magazines, or patterns.

So I went to Barnes & Nobles today during lunch to have a look see at the quilt books & magazines. (I looked at Prairie Children & their quilts - I passed on it.) I then looked at 90% of the other books including on by Lark Books: Pretty Little Patchwork (the website says that the author is Valerie Van Arsdale Shrader, I think that she is the editor, but that is not the point of the post.

As I was flipping - very scientific method of browsing, I know, I saw a quilt that I OWN. I kid you not. Mini Mod Coin Quilt on page 109 by Maitreya Dunham is my quilt. Not a copy mind you, I own that exact quilt. She sent it to me as part of the first Doll Quilt Swap! How cool is that?

BTW It is perfect for you who like to do more that just make quilts.

So I saw a couple scrappy quilt books that tempted me, but alas they all stayed at Barnes & Noble.

I also looked at the magazines. Apparently a lady on my quilting e-mail list had a quilt published in Quilter's Newsletter Monthly - in the May 2008 issue. (Suprisingly, Barnes & Noble only had the April issue...) So I also did not buy any magazines.

B&N does not sell fabric, so I did not get any of that either. :o)

Am I rounding a corner? Sure seems like it - I guess time will tell after I return from Lancaster. :o)

15 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Perhaps you've seen it all now. After so many years of books and mags, I know that I rarely see anything earth-shatteringly new. Have fun in Lancaster and be sure to stop by the GoodBooks booth and tell them that Lisa said hi. Now THEY have some FANTASTIC books... (mine...hee hee!)

calamitykim said...

Oh, I think I need that book! I just was at B & N and I saw a book called Simple Contemporary Quilts: Bold New Designs for the First-Time Quilter ...and I wanted it- mainly because it had some simple and neat designs, and one by Hillary Lang but the more I looked at it the more I thought about all the other quilt books I have and have never made anything with so I passed. I got the fabric folding book instead! I did like this other book called The Uncommon Quilter. I might have to go back for that one.
Have fun on your trip and see ya when ya get back! xxxooo calamity kim

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Great to find your own quilt in a book.
- I am scared and a little concerned about no purchases...lol! But sure you will make up for it in Lancaster, I am presuming that is the Amish county one...and I am actually wishing it were me!!!
Have a great time, Tracey

calamitykim said...

I saw where it says that this isn't published yet- I am confused now!! I will have to go check it out- thanks for a reason to go back to the bookstore---oh, the torture!!!

Shelina said...

That's so cool - you should add that info to the label.
I know sometimes I'm not in the mood to buy patterns or books or magazines - I already have an ample supply of quilts I want to make - and after a while, the patterns look the same, just in different fabrics.
I hope your slump is in quilting only, and that the rest of your life is going well.

Rian said...

I was in B&N last week getting mags for my son who just had surgery and I stopped at the quilt magazine rack. I didn't buy any either. They don't interest me these days. Seems there's nothing new any more.

Quilting Pirate said...

How interesting having your little quilt published!

I'm probably going to Lancaster on Sunday (less shopping hours being a shorter day--figured I would be less tempted? :D)

Greenmare said...

wow you left Barnes and Noble without any books??? you are one strong woman! did you at least get some coffee????

YankeeQuilter said...

I have such a long, long list of quilts I already know I want to do so I am not as tempted by new books...of course as I say that I admit to having just ordered one. (as much curiosity as hope that I will actually use it!)

Michael5000 said...

Must have been fun and kind of amazing to bump into your own quilt like that.

There's a quilt book out there that has a half dozen picutures of me in it, and a couple on the cover as well. But it's by my mom, so there was no surprise factor when I saw it the first time.

IMR said...

It seems anyone can publish a book now a days, just get Blurb!!!!!It doesn't matter if you dont know how to write, or spell or speak English well.I think the last time I read a good story it was my child's book called The Patchwork Quilt, and the Little house series.

IMR said...

Oh yeah just about anyone can design a line of fabric as well, did you notice ??? I washed the material and have not been able to iron it yet, it turned to a ball of string LOL....

Karen said...

Aha, is there a Lancaster visit coming up? I can't wait to hear about it! How amazing to see that quilt pop up at you out of a book!

Kay said...

Ah, I agree with the "nothing new in quilt magazines" sentiment, but oddly I found something I want to make in an old one. That's what they're for right? I'll be waiting to hear about Lancaster.

Kyra said...

I make my own story quilts - so don't generally purchase quilt patterns. I WILL purchase crochet pattern books and simply read the patterns. Haven't made a dress or skirt in YEARS. May I let you know about my own book, though? It's a children's picture book - true story - "Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria." You can see the title quickly on BN.com or Amazon.

Best, Kyra

www.BlackThreads.blogspot.com