Thursday, March 13, 2008

On Productivity

So many people ask, "How do you get so much done?" Well I don't have a publishable Bonnie Answer, but here are my secrets...

Motivators - sometimes they work & sometimes they don't - same thing with a deadline (Although a deadline with a pay check might prove to be a better motivator.)

My most recent motivation was the fact that I was using a Library book. (Although in the past I have photocopied the patterns - for personal use only.) & I think the fact that I was making a replica helped here as well because I refered quite a lot to that color photograph in the book.

But I can procrastinate with the best of them - so those motivators only work every once in a while. (It's not like the library book is due today so I "had" to finish yesterday.)

Another big productivity factor for me is that I don't have any kids & my husband does not need my constant attention. (He can/will also fix meals.)

But the biggest in my opinion is that I do easy piecing quilts. I have yet to show you a "New York Beauty" - with or without papers.)

aside: I also do some applique, but that goes rather slowly for me. :o) I have a pile of prepared blocks that have been waiting for YEARS to become a quilt top. (I can actually make that statement about 3 or 4 projects.)

Another thing that makes me look productive is that I send out 99% of my quilts to be professionally finished - including attaching the binding.

Also I have a "Just do it" attitude towards quilting. I know that I am not making "show" quilts. (I honestly can't be bothered with all of that paperwork rigamarole.) I rarely "unsew." I don't use a design wall - fiddling with balance, etc. Nor do I have my blocks arranged so that I am sewing this block to that block, etc. I just sew them together with some very mild controls.

(I don't have a huge social calendar - nor do my non-existant kids - nor does my husband, so I am sewing while others are playing bridge, golf, bowling - or out to dinner with friends, or driving to & fro, etc. With that said, I am going to a lecture with my friend at the National Zoo tonight. I also do not keep an immaculate home & my husband helps with the chores a lot.)

Lots of little things add up.

What are your secrets or stumbling blocks to productivity?

11 comments:

Rian said...

Great post! I go into the studio every day and do something, even if it's just to tidy it up. Being there is often all the kick in the butt I need to get things accomplished.

julieQ said...

Yeah! wonderful post!! I agree about the ripping out...I rarely do it!

Mama Koch said...

Between your social calender and mine, we're real busy!

Alison Boon said...

Fear of failure can be a huge block. Sometimes you have to feel the fear and do it anyway. Yep and not worry about the trouble.

Lisa Boyer said...

Interesting...I'm going to have to think about this. I used to be more productive when I was busier! Now that I'm an empty nester with no job, I have trouble getting things done! I think it's because I do EVERYTHING myself and I clean too much. My cooking is also very labor-intensive. When I think there will be lots of time to finish something, I never get it done!

jovaliquilts said...

I regard quilting as a treat, and so I often feel I have to do other things first before I allow myself to quilt -- really puts a dent in my productivity. I've consciously started to change that, and to allow myself to quilt every day. My husband says I'm happier when I do that, so now I have a good excuse!

YankeeQuilter said...

I save messy or complicated projects for when my DH goes away on business or a golfing trip. If I get to spread out (quilt project explosion) I can get a lotttt done!

Exuberant Color said...

I will have to use that line "I don't have a social calendar" instead of "I don't have a life other than quilting". It sounds more grown up.

Ruth's Place said...

blogging is my stumbling block to productivity, but also my motivator, need blogging fodder you know, so it's a double edged sword.

cher said...

I am very productive when I want to be-that's my story!

andsewitis Holly said...

So that's your secret! My stumbling block is that I'm lazy.. and like to take too many coffee breaks... and see what everyone else is up to... hehe.