Monday, March 10, 2008

It's just another quilt by me.

(If you can stand it...)

This quilt is two sided. You are getting the long story since this is my blog. Once upon a time ago, I started quilting - without any instructions. I made tops with abandon... Light & white (I had no idea about value), 1/4 inch seam allowance - completely optional, Mysteries with poor choices in fabrics (see the note about value), etc.

I was in a guild (I joined a guild & simultaneously started to quilt - almost in the same night.) & I am sure that they got a few chuckles out of my "masterpieces." (This sentence should have preceded the "I made tops with abandon." comment above.)

I ruined a stack & whack (good example of poor fabric choices - see the comment above about value.) by quilting it myself of the sewing machine that I had been given buy one of the guild members.

Then I found out about long armers. Judy specifically. I did not know any better to seriously wonder what she thought about my "masterpieces." BUT in quick order, I decided that my less than successful tops could be backs. (With my piecing any puckers could have been viewed as enhancements - but I don't recall any puckers!)

Speed ahead several years, several moves, & several boyfriends (same cats).

To this quilt (link goes back to the post on quilting):
plain spoken
I chatted on piecing it here. (If you read that you would have caught the "I should not have fat quarterd the half yard pieces.") But I did & that created a lot of big left over pieces, so I made this top:
not plain spoken which actually shows the inspiration fabrics that led me to that color pallette. (Those fabrics are on the back of the primary quilt form these fabrics.) & then it sat... I like it o.k., but I prefer the other one & this one is "small."

Oh you wanted to see my "new quilt."
Here it is the front of my quilt:
'The Bleeker Street prints and a Kona cotton in burgundy. I love how the quilting turned out.

& the back:
'the or should that be other front?

The burgundy ties them together. I did not have to buy any more Bleeker Street for the back - or find something for the other top - YAY, that has to be stashbusting, right?

Helper kitty must have been tuckered out by the time I took those photos.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

The quilt looks great! I love that it's two sided. That's very creative and some terrific stashbusting there.

Shelina said...

I think two sided quilts are wonderful! Just don't show the family, because then they will want all theirs to be 2 sided! Both sides look wonderful, so I would think you have two fronts, rather than a front and a back.

Dorothy said...

I love them all! Quilts with pieced backs don't have backs at all - they have two fronts, and in the case of yours, 2 BEAUTIFUL fronts.

cher said...

always fun to get quilts back from the la. these look great Amy-and isn't it fun to see our progress as we learn to quilt and grow?

Rian said...

Of course I like 'em all, but ooh ooh, I LOVE the Bleeker street one. Fabulous!

Ruth's Place said...

Love both sides of it! And yay for stashbusting!

Tanya said...

I've never thought about putting two quilts together and then you don't really have to worry about a "front" or a "back". How did you quilt that?

andsewitis Holly said...

I think your two sided quilt is incredible and now you have inspired me to maybe do the same with tops I've gotten bored with etc. Great idea, Amy!