Wednesday, March 05, 2008

iron

Dot over at Rantala Rags just asked about our irons...

Back when I started to quilt, I found out that you needed an iron - so I went to WM & got one... Without a clue what to look for, what anyone else liked, etc. Oh & I wanted the cheapest one available.

(Did I tell you about my first freezer paper applique experience... The gals at guild told me that they were using freezer paper - you can iron it to you fabric. So I went over to my grandmothers & got a package of waxed paper - still not sure where the screw up happened - & set out to iron hexagons onto my fabirc. Nothing happened! I went to guild and told my tale of woe - gave everyone a good giggle & they told me that I needed freezer paper instead of waxed paper... Or something like that...)

So I got a Proctor Silex (I think that is the brand.) & I have knocked it around a lot! So much so that the switch that allows you to change the setting from cotton to silk is gone... I have always been a dry presser (or I use a separate squeeze bottle) so I don't know how well the water reservoir has held up or not.

As of late, my iron has two settings on & off - on is plugged in, off is not plugged in - I broke that bit too...

Yes, I need a new iron. I conveniently failed to mention the state of the sole plate & I think that it is too hot for fusible webs... I think that it is trying to burn out - it gets really hot.

2 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

OMG!! Your iron sounds positively dangerous! I'm not much into buying stuff, but I think it's definitely time for you. Too bad I can't recommend one--I don't like Rowentas any more because of that irritating auto off thing. But YOU REALLY NEED A NEW IRON!!!!

atet said...

Um, yeah -- a new iron would be good. I can recommend the Rowenta professionals -- I just got one for Christmas and I love it! Most of the models do have the on/off thing -- if you go up high enough on the price scale, they get rid of it again!