Friday, March 14, 2008

The Calico Cat needs...


RB resting on a pile of quilts
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

to go to Remedial quilt math school.

I am doing a round robin quilt project (Ring on the side bar) and we are still building the base. So I had to add two pieces one that "finished 6x4" & on that "finished 7x4."
Everyone knows that you have to add .5 to each side to allow for seam allowances... Did I do that? Heck no (not the first time.)

Second example, I am doing the Spring doll quilt swap. The finished top needs to have sides that measures between 18 & 21 inches...

I just finished a Spring quilt that produced a nice spring pile of scraps... So I cut a bunch (60) 2 inch squares and 1 big square for the center. I was thinking 2x8=16 - add a border... (I again failed to think about the seam allowance - my top ended up to be about 12.5 inches square....

So I went back to the pile of scraps and this time cut 3 inch squares - hopefully that works better! :o)

My biggest fan, RB, is resting on a pile of quilts... Meow >^..^<

5 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Urgh. Frustrating. My biggest, worst frustration EVER? I once machine appliqued an entire quilt top of butterflies with invisible poly thread, then ironed it the completed quilt top. Every last stitch of the poly thread melted into little black blurbs. I was watching a movie while I was pressing, so I didn't notice the burning until I had pressed the entire quilt top! Sigh...

Alison Boon said...

Make sure you don't quilt the cat. Could make it a little on the lumpy side. Why didn't the cat do the maths, surely he doesn't leave you to do everything?

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Ruh Roh - cutest cat award right here!!!

julieQ said...

Glad you have a wonderful helper, there. I have sewn with wash-away thread, unknowingly, and washed it away! hehehe!! But it was not funny at the time....

Karen said...

Sounds like math stuff that I do. Makes me so mad. RB is ADORABLE.