Wednesday, February 27, 2008

quote & effect

I just saw this quote on Be*Mused...

'This is not who you are but who you want to be.'

Makes me ponder - all of my stuff... I have a ton of Scrapbook stuff... I fear that the quote above completely fits with that stuff... I really want to be a SBer, but I am like NEVER satisfied with my results... I always say, "If I were playing with fabric, this would work." But the thought of putting photos to fabric never really gets past the think about it stage either...

I have a good amount of Civil War Repros - including a UFO or 3... You see I live in Maryland & on more than one occasion have ventured out to CW battlefields - Nature girl marries history buff... & I always think, "A picnic on a CW Repro quilt would be so much fun out here."

I am not a 30s, TB, or country plaids girl & I know it thankfully... But I am working through the dichotomy of brights & black & whites, Taupes, Kaffes, mod, Judaica, & cats.

I recently similarly worked my self through batiks & hand-dyeds... I am not longer drawn to buy them & hoard them... I am even considering using them for a scrappy back on a current batik/hand-dyed UFO... (& the other kits that I still want to make....)

Embroidery - by hand not machine... Is this me? I truely want it to be me... I have a book or two & a pattern that I want to do... I am enamoured with way more that one quilt that I have seen that has used embroidery...

Anyone else have any thoughts on that quote? I think it is a great blog prompt - like an essay prompt from back when I was in school - do they still do that? If you take is, let me know - I'd love to read about your thoughts on it as well.

More quite show photos in a bit.

11 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Oh, I see myself in that quote a lot! I loved the idea of using rubber stamps and have a bunch that I bought here and there -- but do I use them? No.

I am finally learning that just because I like to look at something doesn't mean I'd like to do it.

Ruth's Place said...

Sounds just like me! Queen of a million planned projects and good intentions:)

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Good thought to ponder.

Libby said...

If I keep on trying . . . someday, I'll be that girl *s*

McIrish Annie said...

That is you AND ME... remember we are dandylions, who like to spread out near and far. Sometimes we stick to some things, other times we just stop for a moment to be blown off to the next thing. That's the joy of having a hobby!

Jeanne said...

Very interesting quote. It has spawned an essay, possibly the fastest blog post of any profundity that I've ever written.

Here's the post.

Nettie said...

Good question. I like Jeanne's response to it. I am also a shameless dabbler and dilettante but am not sure it's necessary to give up any of these pursuits. One thing i struggle with constantly is the ambition to be more organized. Friends tell me "Just face it: that's not who you are." but i still believe people can change. Have seen enough examples of it.

atet said...

A good thought to ponder. And then there is also the whole "the journey to get to where you want to be may make you change your mind once you've gotten there" thing. I know fabrics I LOVED when I first started quilting aren't what I want to play with today. And then again, what I want to play with today? I may not want to play with in a month...oh well :0).

Vicky said...

A great blog, Amy!

JudyL said...

Great "thinking" post, Amy! I've added a post regarding this too. Thanks!

Jeanne said...

Excellent prompt! I'm going to work on this for tomorrow.
Jeanne