Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pea Soup

I never had it as a kid, did you? Do you like it?

Well, my grandmother made pea soup & I was a convert!

So I will share our method.

(Nothing scientific or measured here...)

Ingredients:
1 bag of split peas
diced carrots (probably a cup - but more is more!)
diced onion (1 large onion as a minimum)
diced celery (probably a cup)
salt & pepper to taste
smoked turkey legs (most people use ham here, but I don't eat ham.) I use about 3... I have been told that you can mke this without meat...

Boil the smoked turkey legs in water until the meat is falling off the bone. Fish out the meat and bones & set them aside. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove the bits that you don't want to eat and chop up the meat into bite sized pieces.

Add the peas & veggies to the cooking water and retun to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer till soft, stirring often. (About 30 minutes.)

Once the peas have broken down & your veggies are soft, add the meat to the pot, serve once the meat is warmed back up.

I have another recipe for cookies - maybe my favorite cookie of all times - that says to add flour till stiff... Fun to make these "just do" recipes.

17 comments:

Kay said...

One of my favorite foods! The smoked turkey legs are a good idea. You can also used smoked sausage, either turkey or pork. I use turkey myself and it's good.

martha said...

Hi Amy
Nice recipe. I use spicy turkey sausage.I am going to add this to my meal plan for the week.

Ruth's Place said...

That's how I make all my cookies!

The soup recipe looks lovely, I don't eat ham either and can't get turkey here, wonder if chicken would work?

Katie said...

I love those smoked turkey legs but I usually eat them before they get into the soup. I also like to cook the ham, pig hocks or whatever with the peas. I grate raw potato into the soup near the end. This thickens it up. Do you make corn bread to serve with it? I like it baked in a cast iron pan so it has lots of crust. Fresh crusty bread is also great.

Finn said...

Hi Amy, I'm not a big fan of Pea soup, having eaten it while growing up. I do have to say that the smoked meat(other than the ham I'm used to) sounds really good. Might just have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
Love the mystery quilt you tracked down, and I'm pretty sure I have the second book you mentioned. I'll have to take a look-see!
Just counting the days til spring, hugs, Finn

Morah said...

This looks great. My daughter loves split pea soup but how I have no idea. I've never made nor eaten it! Gonna give it a try and see if she likes.

Nicole and Phil said...

sorry, I am giving the pea soup a wide steer....I just can't stand the thought of mushy peas!!! LOL
;)

jovaliquilts said...

I love split pea soup (and also fresh pea soup!). When I lived in California I used to stop at Anderson's in Buellton (sp?) for their famous split pea soup whenever I drove down 101. You definitely can make it without the meat -- I know since I'm a vegetarian. And for a treat, try yellow split peas instead of green. The flavor is a little different. I make it that way with small chunks of potato and carrot and use mild Indian spices (not curry powder). Now I'll have to make it this weekend!

JudyL said...

I have split pea soup in the crockpot and just posted my recipe too. Funny!

Marlene said...

The soup sounds delicious and healthy, a good combination. I think I'll give it a try. Now on those cookies..."add flour till stiff"...are they talking about you or the dough?

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a good recipe. Have to say I have never had pea soup but I think I will give your recipe a try.

Shelina said...

My mother just gave me about 4 different kinds of split peas. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe.

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Yummy! I love Pea Soup and this recipe looks fantastic.

Tanya said...

Yes, I love it but can't get it in Japan. Hmm. I wonder if they even see split peas. I'll have to go look and check your recipe again if I find them!

Marisa said...

I'm been wanting to learn how to make soup forever! Maybe this will push me over the edge and actually try it.

Lisa Boyer said...

I totally LOVE pea soup, and what a coincidence! I just made some two days ago. It's my favorite thing to eat when I'm sick--comfort food, I guess.

cher said...

you can substitute nutritional yeast instead of meat for a great tasting pea soup-I have made a lot of split pea soup back in the day :-)