Tuesday, February 19, 2008

book review of sorts...

For my birthday, I was given a new book.
(Caveat - I do not care for paper piecing & the gifter knows that.)

Paper-Pieced Mini Quilts by: Wendy Vosters

While I would "never" consider doing a 9-patch quilt with this method, I do like the inspiration. - even though I was disappointed to see it done in 30's. (I can easily envision any pattern in 30's prints, so I don't find them particulalry inspiring in books/magazines - sorry if that style is your style, but then again if it is, you are probably like me seeing any pattern done in 30's!)

BUT - I am seriously considering doing one of the quilts that has seriously sharp points - ala New York Beauty without the curves. Kind of like Kathie's border - only skinnier! Some of the blocks/quilts shown, are clever in their construction - like the school houses - Imagine a traditional school house block - or row of them construced row by row instead of block by block...

Would I buy the book? Not sure, but I was happy to have it gifted to me. It was a thoughtful gift, especially considering my like of doll quilts...

1 comment:

jovaliquilts said...

I haven't seen this book. I did some paper-pieced NYBeauty blocks for a raffle quilt my guild is putting together and loved the result! Don't know whether I'd want to do a big quilt that way, but I enjoyed doing a few blocks. People told me I'd either love paper piecing or hate it, but actually I'm somewhere in the middle.