Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Where to start

& how to get to the end...

I guess since this is a quilty blog that I will start by stating that I finished 1 cat block & started another (part of my Work In Slow Progress - aka WISP &/or GITERDUN) & I did the button hole applique on 1 block.... I guess I will be bringing both to the Caribbean & hope for as mych progress...

All went well for the most part... We got GPS on our rental cell phone for free! & Used it & used it & used it!
For example, on our first day, we needed to get to Haifa, so we plugged in the directions and set off... As we past the number 6 road, all I could think of was my husband telling the rental guy that we would be using that road (it has a toll). Then we passed the 4 & landed squarely into Tel Aviv rush hour traffic... It was time to see just where Ms. GPS was sending us... We we saw that she was sending us to the coast (through Tel Aviv in rush hour) we decided to turn around and take the 6. An hour passes...

(I was going to insert photos, but I think I will have separate posts for the different places...)

We got to Haifa a little worse for wear... & after delivering the quilt, & chatting with my husband's college friend we took a nice walk past the Bahai gardens to a Hummus Hut (not what it was called, but what they are all called in my mind) before returning to thier home for him to go to work & for us to go to Cesarea.

About the time that we were leaving Cesarea, my husband realized that the battery in the cell phone was dying. Luckily he knows Hebrew & was able to get directions to a mall so that we could buy a car charger. 2 Small problems: 1 the car has to be running to charge the battery & 2 the phone can not be in use. So we went back to Cesarea & saw the Bird Mosaic house (luckily we saw the car pull off & the sign - it ended up being one of my favorite places...) & the aquaduct.

We stopped again to charge up while grabbing a bite to eat...

Another example of how we "used" the cell phone GPS...
On Thursday morning before going to the wedding, we went to Massada & En Gedi. Via the cell phone we went the LONG way. While in line at Massada my husband confirmed the State Department report that the short way (by 1.5 hours) through the Palestinian Territories was safe (as long as you don't stop) & so we took that route back to the hotel. While in the Territories, the GPS does not work... Good thing that we did not need it...

Another "story" is the one where we almost started WWIII. You see we were wandering around in Jerusalem... I wanted to go to the Lion's Gate. On our way there, a rug seller/guardian of an Armenian church allowed us to take a picture of the temple mount from inside the church. You have to be Moslem to visit the mount. (I think they allow non-Moslem's to visit, but only through one entrance in a controlled manor - Jews won't visit because the exact location of the Holy of holies is not known & only the high preist is allowed there...) So after getting a photograph of the Lion's Gate, we had 3 choices for which way to go next... We started out going right to the Rampart's, but they are closed. We came from straight, so we decided to go left - looked simple enough... The police stopped us before we got to far, we almost walked into the Al-Aqsa Mosque. Oops... We ended up going straight back the way we came.

2 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Glad you are back and look forward to your stories and pics. your MIL is a looker! are you really short or is it that you are surrounded by tall people??!

Jeanne said...

Starting back at the beginning of yout descriptions ...

Safe through the Palestinian Territories? I think I would have been worried.

Jeanne