Thursday, January 10, 2008

Since this is a quilty blog...

I have a new quilt top to unveil!
First, this is the "inspiration" fabric. (The one that I chose all of the other fabrics to go with.)
Quilt Fabric (Please notice the pink & light spots.)
Here is the resulting quilt top:
blooming 9-patch quilt The inspiration is the final round & will be the binding.
Here is a close up of the inspiration in the quilt top:
up-close quilt
Couple of things about this quilt pattern, in the book, the authors give you the amounts that you need for each round. You all knwo that you need less for the first several rounds than you do for the last rounds right? Well don't buy you fabric that way... If you buy the amount that you need for the last round, you can shuffle them around & try to get a pleasing arrangement.

Another thing, this pattern will always suprise you with how it turns out. I had no idea that that hand dyed pink was going to stand out sooooooo much. Nor did I know that the light blue next to it would look so gray or that the center would look so white in comparison... I really like th elast 3 rounds...

I also think that I could have played & played & played with the arrangement of the other for ever & still questioned the results. & For the record, I DID just that. This UFO was at least 4 years old...

Has anyone else done this quilt? Care to show & share about it on your blog?

17 comments:

Vicki W said...

It' turned out great! I've never made one of these but have see lots of them. They are all so unique.

Kay said...

Wow! Beautiful. What is this quilt?

Kathie said...

this quilt is beautiful.
you did a wonderful job choosing the fabrics for each round.
I love your inspiration fabric .
thanks for sharing it with us.
Kathie

dot said...

No I have never made one of these quilts but this one sure is beautiful. I like the outcome. I might just have to look into this pattern.

Hedgehog said...

What a great quilt! You are so productive! Love that inspiration fabric, too.

Shelina said...

I just love that inspiration fabric. It turned out to be a great quilt, but no, I haven't amde anything like that.

Beth said...

I have one in progress (still) from several years ago and I really love it! I just posted a picture on my blog of what I have made so far LOL. Now I want to work on it again!

Your's looks fantastic! I love your fabric choices!

floribunda said...

it's lovely! I need to try one of those -- maybe we need a blogger challenge!

Goneaussiequilter said...

Congratulations on finishing a UFO, I've looked at the pattern for this quilt over and over, just never got around to doing it. Yours turned out beautiful!

Jeanne said...

It looks wonderful! You can never go wrong with a nine patch, whether it's split, disappearing or blooming, the result is a great quilt.

woof nanny said...

Holy frickin cow. That is fantastic, Amy!

Ruth's Place said...

Wow!! It's wonderful! and I love your inspiration fabric.

Exuberant Color said...

I'm just getting around to reading blogs from the last 2 days and would you believe I posted a quilt of the very same pattern the same day you did? Were you sending vibes out?

Catherine said...

I love this quilt! Intriguing. I'm very tempted ...

Tanya said...

What a beautiful, beautiful quilt you've made! I love the colors! What sparkles! I have a book with something similar (but yours is much nicer!) so I wonder if it the book you used. If it is I'm inspired to try it! What book were you using?

Rose Marie said...

Love those blended blocks in the outer borders. Haven't done this pattern yet, but yours is gorgeous!

Em said...

WOW, that's really stunning! Great job! Em