Saturday, January 12, 2008

shopping/packing for the cruise - advice needed!

Anyone have any real ideas on how much to pack for a 7 day southern caribbean cruise?

I am trying hard not to be an over packer... But I want to exercise every day & have something else to wear during the day. I know one night is fancy dress, but should I dress something somewhat fancy (not a jeans equivalent) the other nights? 

Another area where I am concerned is that we are leaving in the winter... (well it should be winter here in the DC area.) I think it will be warmer in the caribbean - but my brain wants to pack sweats... Especially for the exercising.

We went to the big box store zone (WM, K, T) this afternoon to look for some stuff for Mr. Calico Cat. We got some nice stuff CHEAPLY at K. :0)

I usually do not have questions about what to pack & how much, but for this cruise, I am questioning ALL of that! It is only 7 days, but my brain is ready to pack for 14! I know after exercising that I will want to change EVERYTHING - so that doubles a lot of clothing items. Also I will not want to hang out in the clothes that I exercised in... Will I want to wear my exercise clothes twice? Anything else? (I know there are laundry services on the ship - should I plan to use it? Anyone know how expensive that service is?)

9 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

Can't help you out, sorry. I'm just jealous! But then I'm going to Mexico in April for 7 days so I shouldn't be jealous. But a cruise...

Libby said...

No help here . . . never taken a trip such as yours and I can see why you are having difficulty. I'm sure in the end, you'll end up with what's just right.

Mary said...

I haven't been on a cruise yet - we're going to Alaska in July but from my other travels, I would say you'll want to use the laundry services. I wouldn't want to hang out in exercise clothes and I'd plan on taking 1/2 what I'd need and then get them washed and use them again.

Deb H said...

The only cruise I've ever taken was an Alaskan cruise. When I went to Hawaii for a week, I packed 2 bathing suits. A long wrap around skirt that coodinated with both swim suits. 1 light jacket. 1 sweater. 3 pairs of shorts, 1 dress, & a couple of blouses. I wore the bathing suits with the long skirt most of the time I was there.

You can always buy t-shirts & sweat shirts on the boat,or in ports of call to supplement, & they do have alundry service on the ship . They also have some fancy clothes to buy on board, but it's pricey. Hope you have a grand time!

ForestJane said...

Are you the type that's willing to wash exercise bras and undies in the sink and hang them to drip dry? That might help some.

Rian said...

You might wear sweats in the air-conditioned gym, but probably not. There is a laundry on each floor of the ship. If you get a pair of travelers pants (Chico's carries them) you can wear them to dinner every night with different tops. Make sure you wear a watch. I left mine home once (on purpose) and regretted it the whole time. Take flip-flops for the showers at the gym, and a gym bag or canvas tote of sorts. HTH

Rian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

Don't forget a truly gorgeous nightgown!

Minimize dressy things; can wear same thing to dinner repeatedly.

We used the laundry service on our Greek cruise last summer and were very pleased with it. And didn't worry about what it cost.

nancy, np

Tanya said...

Ooh. Traveling again! How wonderful! Taking some stitching along for your cruise?