Thursday, January 17, 2008

It's official

Not that I haven't mentioned it a time or two before, but I prefer quilts without sashing...

Case in point: Bonnies mystery quilt!

I did not join in - I am definately not a mystery girl. I like to know what I am getting into. For example, on Bonnies quilt, do you see the white (light shirting) squares. Fussy cut cats would look good in those spots, but without knowing about those spots from the begining, I would never cut the cat fabrics for that eventuality. But now that the mystery is revealed, if I were so inclined, I could plan to make my quilt to end up with fussy cut cats in those squares.

Congrats to all who did make the quilt! I is a fun one with all of those bits of fabric.

9 comments:

Mama Koch said...

I did join in...and I think my tan centers are going to be something else too!

Rian said...

Hey, have a great trip!

Shelina said...

Hmm, I do like quilts without sashings because you can see secondary designs and more complexity in a quilt that way. This one, you can almost say has a pieced sashing! In sewing, especially complex blocks, I like sashings because then you don't have to match points as much. In fact, I am thinking about putting a skinny sashing between my kaleidoscope blocks. It worked in the crossed kayak quilt, so maybe I can get the kaleidoscope blocks topped. It's not a decision I have to make now - lots of other quilts are farther up in line.

atet said...

I sat back on this one too -- though now that it's done I am contemplating doing it in pink, black and white...not like I don't have a dozen OTHER things to do first.

Libby said...

Right there with ya - I'm not a mystery girl either. I've tried it a couple of times and always err on the side of bad fabric choices. If I'm going to put the time and effort in, I want to know what I'm going to end up with.

Sewbaby said...

I have fabric pulled to start the mystery and now I am reconsidering since I saw the reveal. The stars get lost in the overall pattern. I really wanted those stars to pop.

Hmmmm, maybe I am not a mystery girl either.

Hugs,
Traci

Kathy Wagner said...

What a great idea!
Not too late to start!

Jeanne said...

I'm less than 100% pleased with my color placement -- fiddling with my subunits this evening ...

Have a wonderful trip!

Jeanne

andsewitis Holly said...

I'm not a mystery girl for the same reasons you aren't but I "do" like Bonnie's quilt a lot and might have to make it in the future. Have a wonderful cruise.