Friday, January 11, 2008

If you work out of the house....

How do you get dinner on the table? (I mean everyone out there takes a nap with their kitties when they get home, right? Mr. Calico Cat should be good & jealous now...)

Use Mr. Crock Pot that's how...
I am making a pot roast that I saw on Tee Vee. My only problem (well I have many & this will actually be the first one in this post...) is that I have 3 PBS stations... They all show this show - several times a week. So they are mixing and matching the seasons willy nilly - so it is hard to find the printable recipe for the food that you want...
Problem 2 - no "search" function...
Problem 3, I found the location for the Sesame noodles recipe in the first season - not what I am making for dinner, but a recipe that I would like to try nonetheless, but it is not highlighted - therefore, there is no printable recipe... I need to wait & hope to get to see that episode if and when it is rotation again (& I am there to watch with a pen & paper).
Problem 4, once upon a time ago, I knew where a pen (with lid if applicable) and paper were located... I live with someone who thinks nothing of taking one or both of those items & does not put them back...
(But that has little to do with having dinner ready now does it)

Back to dinner
Here is the recipe, it was tucked neatly into last years episodes... I am 99% sure that mine will work out fine... I had more beef than the recipe calls for... & my crock pot is bigger, so it did not look the same when I added the canned tomatoes so I added some water to the can - swished it around and added that to the crock pot too. Luckily my crock pot has a timer, so it will not over cook. Also I am lucky in that my crock pot has a warm setting, so when I get home, I can stir it up a bit, turn it onto warm & have it ready for when Mr. Calico Cat gets home. (I added carrots to the recipe too - to me a pot roast needs carrots. Oh & you are welcome Mr. Calico Cat, I did not add celery.)

Oh for those of you out there who plan the week ahead & or freeze some for later... We will be eating this as leftovers until they are gone. Last weeks turkey pot pie lasted quite a while...

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

7 comments:

Susan said...

You know, of course, this idea works just as well for those of us who work inside the house...

Pot roast sounds pretty good, thanks for the idea!

Libby said...

Sounds delicious - a nice way to have several yummy meals at the ready *s*

Ruth's Place said...

Yum! Sounds great.

We tend to do pretty simple stuff during the week and we share the cooking.

Laurie Ann said...

Yes, the crockpot is a good friend!! I have a turkey soup cooking in mine right now!

Thanks so much for the post card. I got it yesterday. What a fun suprise! It is hanging on the fridge now.

Hugs!!

Laura said...

It all sounds wonderful!!!

Tanya said...

I HAVE a crockpost but haven't used it in months. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I can't get my act together in the morning (or even the day before when I should be shopping for the next day's groceries)maybe because there is no such thing as large chunks of meat in Japan. A lot of slices. Sounds good though!

Nour said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like a good one especially step 3 (I am fussy about meat). I might add a little allspice when I brown the meat ( a middle eastern thing! lol)