Saturday, January 12, 2008

FOOD - Vegan spice cake

First, the pot roast turned out wonderfully! (In my big crock pot, I would add another can of tomatoes though.) The rosemary was a delightful flavor! (I should have added the whole bunch!)

Second, I am making a very nice (fun) spice cake that you could serve to any vegan friends on your guest list. It is also known as an eggless, milkless, butterless cake. Science is at work with this cake!

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1-1/4 cup water
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves 
(I use 1-1/2 teaspoons each of apple pie spice and pumpkin pie spice instead of the three above)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons water

Boil sugar, water, shortening, & spices for five minutes. Cool slightly add in raisins then stir in flour, salt, & baking powder. Dissolve soda in 2 teaspoons of water and add last to the batter. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish and pour in cake. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm always on the hunt for vegan desserts since I am allergic to eggs and dairy.

Sheila in Ohio said...

I found your recipe this morning and decided to make my co-workers guinea pigs. If the cake is anything like the batter, no one will be disappointed! I did add some pears that I had sitting around.

You didn't mention the source... is this from a cookbook? Also, no salt listed, so I used 1/2 tsp.

Thanks,
Sheila in Ohio