Friday, January 04, 2008

En Avdat & Avdat

After Tzfat, we rushed back to Jerusalem for a tour of the Western Wall Tunnel, but I will save that for a Jerusalem post. The next morning we went to the other extreme into the Negev Desert to En Avdat & Avdat.
(please recall that I am a nature girl at heart.)
Negev, Israel
En Avdat, Israel (the dark lines in the cliffs is flint.)
En Mor Spring, Negev Israel (En Avdat) En Mor Spring. (Water in the desert is a sight to behold.)
En Avdat
En Avdat This is why we drove for hours & hiked for miles - tiny exaggeration. The hike was about 1 hour in duration coming & going, stopping to take photos... We were closer to Eilat than Jerusalem though...
& seeing these Ibex was a bonus!
DSC03659.JPG "The hills are a refuge for the wild goats..." Psalms 104:18.

And then we went on to Avedat, ruins of an ancient town built by the Nabateans as a caravan station on the "Spice Road." (Important center in Roman & Byzantine periods as well.)

Avdat, Israel
One thing that I liked about this park were the steel recreations of what the activities would have looked like. (So much better than manequins, IMHO.)
Avdat, Israel
Avdat, Israel
Avdat, Israel
Avdat, Israel
Avdat, Israel
Avdat, Israel
Avdat, Israel

13 comments:

Carole said...

One day I'm going to make it to Israel! I would need to study my Hebrew though! I find it to be such a difficult language! No vowels! lol Thanks for sharing!

Libby said...

Stunning photos from your trip. All I can think to say is, 'Wow!'

Catherine said...

What fabulous photos from your trip! Thank you for sharing them.

Ruth's Place said...

Very cool!!

Tanya said...

What beautiful photos! I love the picture of the wild goat and the quote from Psalms!

andsewitis Holly said...

Catching up, Amy! Wow, what great pictures you took. Brings back memories of my visit years ago. I would love to go back someday. Thanks for sharing.

Gail said...

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. They are quite wonderful, and may be the only chance I ever have to visit Israel. Glad YOU got to be there.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Ok, your comment thing has got the better of me, loving the photos, they are the closest I will get to Israel. Looks like you had fun, Tracey

Sheri said...

What a wonderful trip.
Sheri

Rhonda said...

What awesome pictures. They are just breathtaking!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Old, old, old and so amazing! The water in the desert is a wonder, really! And the goats! How great that your DH speaks the language - I always appreciate that my DH speaks German when we are in Europe! As usual, you have documented your travels wonderfully!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Karen Dianne Lee said...

WOW again! I like the use of th steel, too. Great idea.

Jeanne said...

I am not at all a desert person, but seeing it like ths as the setting for so much ancient history must have been amazing.
The silhouette statues of the caravan are really unusual and interesting!
Jeanne