Monday, December 17, 2007

weekend wrap-up

A. It got cold enough for us to have to wrap up - but we did not get any snow or ice. Some people lost electricity because of the high winds but that is about it.

B. The dinner party was nice...
I ended up making a Vegan bean stew, a very dairy kugel (noodle pudding), smoked salmon sandwiches (my lunch today), a vegan cake (my lunch today), a chocolate pie, & the expected cheese, crackers, veggies, hummus, pickles stuff. (you want any recipes - drop me a note/comment with an e-mail address.)

To make the stew "vegan" I bought a new pot (I needed one - this was the impetus) no sooner that I took the pot out of the box that my snoopervisor hopped into the box.
RB in a box

I hung 4 doll quilts to cover my fuse boxes:
doll quilts
I chose them based upon size...

I sewed on my Isotaupe quilt - It is all from stash!:
quilt blocks
When I started this, I cut a strip of of every piece that I had that was a 1/2 yard or smaller. I then cut one pair of fat rectangles and a pair of skinny rectangles from each (I cut 2 pairs each from the Judaica ones that Marisa sent to me.) I then counted & had 199 "blocks." According to the pattern, I need about 176... So I made 14 more & will add 2 rows. The HARDEST part was choosing those extras... I felt like I was choosing my favorite child or something... (Melodramatic, huh? Just a tad.) Anyway that photo shows all 213 "blocks."

(I keep adding the "quotes" to "blocks" because none is actually a block yet. The bottom row needs to be cut in half & sewn to the skinny rectangle - the top row needs to be sewn to the skinny rectangle and then cut in half and sewn to the skinny rectangle again... The pattern ends up being reminiscent of Argyle. The free pattern was linked to on this blog a couple times in the past & is at the Quilter's Newsletter magazine website.)

Yesterday, my mini-group met for our December get together...
Here are some shots of the quilts that were shown.
quilt
quilt
& an applique block (will be a wedding gift for a February wedding.)
applique quilt block
You too can accomplish that much applique in a month once you retire.

9 comments:

Libby said...

Isn't life all the better for having a 'snooperviser'?
Love the idea of hiding the boxes with quilts. Takes care of unsightly-ness while still leaving them accessible when required.

Tamera said...

Is your "snoopervisor" a Tonkenese? We have a wonderful Tonk names Zoey.

Rian said...

What a pretty snoopervisor. A vegan cake, huh? I guess that must mean no eggs. During WWII they had eggless cakes, made with vinegar and oil, and lots of baking powder. They were very tasty--and moist. Probably called "Victory Cake," although I was not around then. They resurfaced again in the 60s as "Crazy Cake." Now that one, I remember.

Shelina said...

I'm glad your dinner party went well. I too have that same feeling when I chose the additional fabrics for my brother's quilt. I felt like I was choosing favorites and making the others feel left out! That quilt in the middle is beautiful.

IzzyR said...

what a beautiful applique block, you do nice handwork...

Mary said...

I like the quilts on the fuse box. I need to get back to work on my crazy quilt - it's taking a long time for such a small quilt. I've been spending my *handwork* time doing bindings lately.

Ruth's Place said...

I have a cat that loves boxes too, can't keep him out of them. Love the isotaupe fabrics, can't wait to see progress on that, no pressure though lol

JudyL said...

Your Isotaupe quilt is going to be so pretty. Sounds like your dinner party menu was great too. Chad loves hummus and I don't make it enough. I think I'll add it to my list of things to make this week.

Laura said...

Great idea hanging little quilts over the fuse box!