Thursday, December 20, 2007

On Blogging & traveling

O.K. I have a blog meter, but I barely glance at the e-mail that I get about weekly. I know other people have meters that tell them where in cyberspace people are coming from & they sound like they are checking fairly regularly... I am curious, but not enough to figure out how to do that...

Then there are blog rolls of varying kinds. I use bloglines. Not sure why, but I can tell you that I never "comparison shopped." Ditto with choosing Blogger instead of one of the other options.

What am I getting at?

Bloglines may give me too much information... As in the number of subscribers... (I don't compare my numbers to yours. & I try to remember that some readers may be using blogarhythm or some other feed.) But my number of subscribers has an ebb & flow. (I can admit that I go through cycles of culling back to a "reasonable number" which would create an ebb for someone else...)

I am not sure why it bugs me so, but I have been watching the ebb....

O.k. on to travel... I LOVE TO TRAVEL! I love everything about it, from the airport to the airport!

I am not so happy with all of the restrictions on liquids & such, but I have adapted...

I usually bring some hand work (not that I work on it, but I bring it just in case.)

So if you were me, would you bring a prepared cat applique block that you have been working on FOREVER or a bright shiny new fused applique that needs hand button holeing?

11 comments:

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Ahhh my friend, this is the worse time of year to check numbers. Everyone is going "off the grid" or trying to simplify, simplify, simplify.

As you wisely stated - there is an ebb and flow...

Now to the handwork - Karen says bring 'em both!

Andi said...

Will the airline allow you to bring scissors and needles to do applique? I usually just take my wooden knitting needles. Take both. As long as you are hopeful about doing something, surely you can do everything, LOL. The trip sounds fantaastic!

Shelina said...

I didn't comparison shop either, and I don't look at my bloglines subscription number, but it is possible that a lot of people are switching over to google reader.
My numbers have gone down considerably too, each month this year has been very close or lower than the month before. I think maybe people have realized how much time reading blogging takes away from real work.

As to the handwork, I was thinking that if you took a UFO, you would be almost required to finish it, since you would be bored and needed something to do. But if you consider not doing any handwork as an option, then the newest, greatest, shiniest thing that would make you want to work on it would be a better choice.

What the heck, I'll join the crowd. I think take both is a good choice. You are bound to have spare time waiting somewhere or another, and you'll get twice the amount done when you come home!

Yes I remember the happiness is craze when I was in high school. You need the extra time to decide what work to pack with you.

Laurie Ann said...

Bring the forever block. Get er done! :)

And have a great great time! Lots of pictures, please. :)

McIrish Annie said...

I love your "let me sew" song! so cute! don't worry about your numbers! you are always on my bloglines and I try to check daily! Definitely bring handwork!! If travel these days is any indication, you don't want to have to spend your time twiddling your thumbs.

YOur itinerary sounds whirlwind but wonderful! If I dont' get back before you leave, have a great time!!

atet said...

Oh like you have to ask??? BOTH!!!!! (as for the blog meters, etc. -- I use istemeter, and look but I'm a geek like that. As for bloglines -- it tells you how many people subscribe?)

paula, the quilter said...

If you have room take 'em both, otherwise take the forever block. I stopped looking at my stats.

JudyL said...

I never check the numbers. I blog for me and while I love receiving comments, I'll continue blogging even if no one else ever reads my blog.

Will you carry on a set of knitting needles just to see if they get through so I'll know whether I can take them on my next trip? I'd rather lose yours than mine! :)

I'm with Karen -- bring both projects.

Clothmatters said...

From one Marylander to another I enjoy your blog. Beautiful works of art.
Connie

Libby said...

Take it . . . even if there isn't a stitch taken, the journey will become part of the quilt's story. Have a wonderful time *s*

Kathy Wagner said...

I vote for bring both and work on a little of each...feel like you're making progress on everything!